3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac vent problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 AM
stewtina
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac vent problems

I have 06 mega 4wd diesel, and i have what i think is minor problem. the ac blowscold sound like a freight train, but feels like a light breeze. Any suggestions for a quick fix without taking it to the dealer.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

that's how they are. My '08 is the same way. Lots of sound and no blow...lol

Try closing the passengerside and it will blow harder for your side. The vents are large which reduces pressure output.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
stewtina
Veteran

it seems as if no air is coming out any vents and not cooling in 80 degree weather..i know i need to take it in i'm just trying to prolong it

Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

pull the glove box out and look up at the recerc door It.s probably laying on top of the blower motor. you need to roll the dash back to replace the housing for the recerc. It's not as hard as it sounds and the part is a updated housing w door and motor and very cheap for all you get. about 25 bolts to get the dash to roll back and while you have it back take the fresh duct that the housing fits against out and remove the screen then reinstall it. It takes me about 45 mi to do the job. I have repaired many. It will take you longer just because it is the first time. You have to drop the steering column and above that there are 2 bolts that were coverd by the column

Last edited by eaglestorm; 09-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
stewtina
Veteran

wow too bad your in utah i would have you show me.... but im in east Tn....long drive...i will give it a shot on my next days off.....

Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
jerzey111
Professional

same here on my 06. still on warranty so im planning on taking it to the dealer as soon as i get some time. i get almost no air from the passenger side vent. very weird

Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

stewtina is you truck out of warr?? call your dealer ask if they might goodwill it or split the cost

Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
rihemi

Here are some How To videos that are great showing the replacement of the vents. They are priceless.

http://www.heatertreater.net/Dodge%20Ram%20Video.html

Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

Good video but newer rams are different and dont require as much work to get the dash out you have to remove both a pilars covers 4. 10 mm bolts the ft dash speaker cover that just pops up behind that are 2. 10 mm bolts and 4 8 mm bolts . under the glove box there might be a support strap 1 10 mm bolt not all trucks have this bolt you have to pull the drivers knee blocker 3. or 4 screws. and the steel plate behind it 4. screws. there is a support bar held in by screws and that open the way to drop the column that held in with 4. 13 mm nuts before you drop the column remove the brake switch so you dont break it. after the column is droped there ar 2. 10 mm bolts above it in the big alum piece . if there is a console it needs to be removed 3 or 4. 8 mm bolts in the deep holes that are filled with spilled coke and penneys. in the center of the dash near the floor there are 2. 10 mm bolts. you need to remove the pass kick plate and threshold seal (all one piece) disconnect all the wires that are behind there . there is a cover on each end of the dash that need to come off on the left side there a 3. 13 mm bolts on the right side there are also 3. 13 mm bolts the bottom one on the right is removed from under the dash by the wirring. on the pass a pillar there may be wires that may be pluged in or not but need to be popped loose. when all the bolts are out stand on the pass side lift the dash off the hookd and pill it over and set it on the seat leave the drivers side alone. now you have access to the recerc door and housing. un plug the recerc motor remove 2 brass screws grab the recerc motor and pull to the rear and up . make sure nothing is in the blower motor. sit the new housing in place and almost flush but you have to tap it up high to get the housing to lock down then put it all back together all the bolt size's are head size

Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
stewtina
Veteran

yes its under the extended bumper to bumper warranty. I just hate going to the dealer the lat time i took in to have a ujoint replaced they told me is not covered i, of course the smart a** asked since when did they move the ujoints out beyond the bumpers? need less to say they finally fixed them after a few phone calls.

Quick Reply: ac vent problems