3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbo or Supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
dwfshamrock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or Supercharge?

I currently have a 2003 1500 4x4 with a 5.7. I am looking to SuperCharge it or Turbo Charge it but am trying to figure out the pros and cons of each and how much work it will be to make a succesful modification. I want to know if I have to change out drivetrain parts and the fuel delivary system as well. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dwfshamrock
I currently have a 2003 1500 4x4 with a 5.7. I am looking to SuperCharge it or Turbo Charge it but am trying to figure out the pros and cons of each and how much work it will be to make a succesful modification. I want to know if I have to change out drivetrain parts and the fuel delivary system as well. Any help would be great! Thanks.

There's lots of information out there on the internet as far as Pros/Cons go.
Problem with asking this question is that most are just fantasising about the idea and really aren't capable or actually going to follow through as it's a hefty expense. Plan on $5500(ATI)-$8k(KB) for a Brand new kit or $2500-3k for a used kit IF you can find one????
ATI & (KB)Kennebell are the only 2 making S/C'ers for the Ram currently.
STS Turbo(Squire's) are the one's that are making turbo set-ups.
That's enough info for you to get started on some research to see what is best for you.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

As of yet, turbo is the only thing you can go with. No one makes a supercharger for the 2003 Hemi. But supposedly, Magnacharger is making one for the Hemis. If so, then that's what I'm going to get one for my truck.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

The sts kit comes with everything you need and is about as complicated as installing ct back exhaust system. The supercharger setup isn't so easy to install and may leave you scratchin your head. You'll likely find the turbo is a fair bit cheaper as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn dog, can't we all dream?

One of the very first threads I ever made here pertained to doing this on an 08 Ram. While I still plan on doing this at some point, I have yet to do it.

Now, the only real info I got out of the thread is as follows....
Originally Posted by kenihemi
The good news:

The STS turbo is the perfect power adder solution to the hemi ram. The extra power is only there if when you want it be. You can drive like normal and the turbo doesn't add any extra power. It only produces boost when you jump on it or add a big load to it, besides just normal driving for most over 40 years old.

The bad news;

The only solid tuning solution for the hemi with forced induction is the SCT Flash Tuner and larger internal injectors, a 2 BAR MAP sensor and an intercooler. As far as I know, SCT does not have a tuner yet that can do the '08 or '09.

That means that you can install the turbo, but you will need to keep the boost down UNDER 3lbs until the tuner is available.

Just by looking at SCT's site, you are in the same boat as the 07+ guys.

STS is great, and yes the initial install may be easy, it's the other things that you need to worry about. You absolutely need to find a tuning solution of some kind.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharge?