3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 throwing rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did an oil change on Saturday with 5w30 and will do the fuel system cleaner. Thank you for the help.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 AM
drrythm

Hey there. Did you ever resolve this problem? I'm about to tear into my '05 magnum to fix the valve knock and have a feeling I may encounter the rocker arm problem. This forum is probably one of the most informed discussions I've found and would love to know how it turned out for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

The Lifter slap has not gone away but is barely noticeable now. Check your exhaust gaskets on each side to see if there are any leaks, check it when the motor is cold. I had one on the passenger side that I can only assume was there for a couple of years that went undetected at each years inspection. It would go away when the truck would heat up so I just thought it was still the lifter slap. sorry I don't have a fix for you.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 PM
AKcraft

i have a 4.7 04 ram 1500 and iv had a cylinder 6 misfire . i took it in and the rocker arm had fallen out , no damage just laying in there had it replaced an 2 days later it fell right back out ….. is there a legit fix for this ?? is there an upgrade for this I'm at a total loss an have no idea .. one guy put a lock nut on his is that ok to do ? the dodge dealer in my town has "" never herd of this ""… some one help :'(

Last edited by AKcraft; 03-16-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 PM
dakota426
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but.... I have an 02 Dakota QC with 260,000+ on it (knock on wood) with no rocker issues I had a neighbor with a Liberty w/a 3.7 and the mechanic told her she needed a new engine. I did some research and found a mechanic that had "fixed" this issue on the same engine 3 times. He did some investigating and measured the "lifters" fully relaxed and then fully collapsed. He determined he had clearance to install a shim below the "lifter". I don't recall the thickness but he installed a $.30 washer under the "lifter" in the problem cylinders and the engine never had a problem with rockers falling off again. I fixed my neighbors 3.7 the same way. $30-40 in parts instead of a $3500.00 engine. READ BELOW
Case Number K09584712 Vehicle Issue: For vehicles equipped with a 3.7L or 4.7L and a history of repeat rocker arm ejection, especially during cold start in extremely cold ambient temperatures (10 deg. F and colder) There are three major contributors to this issue , dirty or wrong viscosity engine oil , substandard oil filter (which contributes to slow oil pressure build) and possible rocker arm with a shallow lash adjuster pocket;ejection
System or ComponentRocker Arm / Lash Adjuster Recommendation Replace rocker arm with a part that exhibits a tight fit when installed to lash adjuster tip ie. "snaps in place"
Also install a ½" diameter flat washer with a thickness of .020-.030 in the bottom of the lash adjuster bore on the troublesome cylinder .The flat washer will raise the lash adjuster tip enough to maintain proper contact with the rocker arm until correct height is achieved due to full system oil pressure. Always inspect for bent/sticking valve stem , there is a possibility that the valve stem may become bent during the first time a rocker arm is ejected . Also note: the lash adjusters used in the 3.7/4.7L engine are of the NOLA design (Normally Open Lash Adjuster) with this design the lash adjuster will compress easily with finger tip pressure and may give the impression of being "soft" or out of spec.. This is normal for this design, the lash adjuster will increase its internal resistance during rapid compression only
Modification Date01/21/10 6:43 AM

Last edited by dakota426; 06-24-2016 at 04:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dakota426:
southtxrbs (11-20-2020), V8Cowboy (09-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:27 PM
dakota426
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It worked again!!!!

It worked again, so far, fingers crossed. Picked up a 2002 loaded JGC w/4.7 motor and transfer case w/2WDmode. It was missing badly and assumed a few rocker arms had fallen off. Bought it cheap, got it home and tore it down, 2 rockers were off. Went to AZone and bought 2 Melling lash adjusters, gasket kit and a package of 3/16 washers. I mic'd the washers, 2 of them were about 78 thousands thick. Dropped 2 in each hole, loosened the cam bolts and installed the lash adjusters and rocker arms. I put everything back together and viola, good to go. Now I'm looking for another Dodge P/U, or JGC to buy cheap and fix.

The following users liked this post:
southtxrbs (11-20-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 07:00 PM
Robert Buttrick

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Sounds like your cam lobes are shot. How does the truck run otherwise?

If the lobes aren't within spec, they don't retain proper tension on the rocker arms, however, you say you replaced them so that would mean you had them tightened to spec again????hhmmmm...
You check all your push rods and make sure they are not bent at all?
Don't know much about the 4.7, do ya? You may want to note, there are no pushrods in that engine, overhead cam instead.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:08 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Buttrick
Don't know much about the 4.7, do ya? You may want to note, there are no pushrods in that engine, overhead cam instead.
You may want to note the age of the thread.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:48 AM
southtxrbs

Originally Posted by dakota426
It worked again, so far, fingers crossed. Picked up a 2002 loaded JGC w/4.7 motor and transfer case w/2WDmode. It was missing badly and assumed a few rocker arms had fallen off. Bought it cheap, got it home and tore it down, 2 rockers were off. Went to AZone and bought 2 Melling lash adjusters, gasket kit and a package of 3/16 washers. I mic'd the washers, 2 of them were about 78 thousands thick. Dropped 2 in each hole, loosened the cam bolts and installed the lash adjusters and rocker arms. I put everything back together and viola, good to go. Now I'm looking for another Dodge P/U, or JGC to buy cheap and fix.
​​​​​​Why 3/16 washers instead of 1/2, and .078 instead of .020 - .030 thickness.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Dale High
Default Dale b

Originally Posted by Terry Joe
I am using A/C Delco oil filter that has a check valve, 10w30 Mobil conventional oil. It seems like I have an oil supply problem to the valvetrain. I just pulled the heads again, had a machine shop rework
the heads along with the valve guides, seemed ok for a 2 days, and boom, started rattling again on start up. What happens is the entire valve train rattles what is way beyond normal, and at times, a rocker arm flys off. This engine is clean, strong oil pressure, oil pan and pick up screen is clean. I'm ready to junk the engine, but I have too much money invested now. The cam lobes are ok also. This is the dumbest designed valvetrain ever.

Anybody have any other ideas?
Terry
go to a solid lifter i am having the same issue, lobes spec good springs good reworked heads, and get the same issue

Quick Reply: 4.7 throwing rocker arms