3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 ram 4.7 help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 AM
golfer9911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I changed it and cleaned the throttle body. seems to idle right now. we will see as I drive it.

Another question. I changed the pcv valve and noticed a little split in the 4 inch rubber hose that connects to it. Can I replace that with any rubber hose or do I need something special.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
warnerwh

You don't need anything special. You may get away with cutting away the split part and then putting it back on. I just did that with the same hose last week when changing plugs.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
ramform
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read this thread it was like deja vu, my 02 Ram (4.7l) is doing exactly the same thing. Earlier I cleaned the throttle body and it did not seem to help much. The problem seemed to go away after I replaced the battery (!!) but has now returned. I will be checking the wires to the coil packs asap to see if that has any bearing on the issue. I live in the UK so getting parts is a fairly big deal. What is the correct term for the coil packs that sit on the spark plugs as I think I need to replace these and am having trouble sourcing the part. Am really glad I joined the forum now.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramform
When I read this thread it was like deja vu, my 02 Ram (4.7l) is doing exactly the same thing. Earlier I cleaned the throttle body and it did not seem to help much. The problem seemed to go away after I replaced the battery (!!) but has now returned. I will be checking the wires to the coil packs asap to see if that has any bearing on the issue. I live in the UK so getting parts is a fairly big deal. What is the correct term for the coil packs that sit on the spark plugs as I think I need to replace these and am having trouble sourcing the part. Am really glad I joined the forum now.
Coil packs... They are about $30 a piece, and rarely fail. Pull one of your plugs and check them. The copper champions only last about 30k miles in these engines, but they're the plugs you want. The 4.7L doesn't much like platinum or iridium plugs unless you are running a lot of timing advance like in the HO version of the engine.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyro
The 4.7L doesn't much like platinum or iridium plugs unless you are running a lot of timing advance like in the HO version of the engine.
Yeah, don't be running the cheapo Champions in the HO! There's even a BIG, BOLD sticker under the hood says to ONLY run Platinum plugs in the HO!!!

Picky a$$ engines, my Hemi HATES platinum plugs and my 4.7 HO can only use them. So much for buying plugs in bulk!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
ramform
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 plugs

Thanks a lot guys, that might have saved me wasting money on coil packs. Cheers. Whilst I am on, I found today that my exhaust system needs replacing, the system fitted is a full twin sports system (ie there are two seperate tail pipes). The sound is (was)awesome so I would like to fit a similar system, have you any recommendations, in stainless os course, cheers

Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 AM
berndog67
Rookie

il second the last post, cuz i had the same thing happen in two of my dodges, my ram 4.7 and my neon and in both cases changing the tps and giving it a good cleaning solved it for good, no problem since!