3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting the exhaust noise out of the cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009 | 11:59 AM
08DodgeTRX
|
Professional
Default Getting the exhaust noise out of the cab

So I just bought a new Y pipe from Moes, when it gets here I want to rework the exhaust so their no noise in the cab. Right now the magnaflow is under the rear passenger, and the tips come out right before the rear wheel.

Can i just move the exhaust tips or do i need to move the whole muffler back?

Don't get me wrong I love the sound when I'm getting on it by myself with the windows down, and the wife has played along so far, but when you have 6 people in your truck and your towing a boat around Arkansas (read hilly) and you cant hear your passengers it gets old.

So does the whole muffler need to move back or do i just need to have the exhaust tips run all the way to the back? I'm looking for zero cab noise at 2k rpms. I'm thinking its just the tips, but since I'm gonna have them put the y pipe in anyways, i just want to make sure.

Old 09-22-2009 | 12:11 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Its not the tips. If it was me I would move the muffler back as far as possible and dump it over the rear axel. Mine is very loud outside, sounds a little quieter than a cutout outside when I get on it, yes you can hear it inside but its mellow and at cruising at 2000rpms you can barely hear it. So you may want to give that a try and see how that works for you.

If that doesn't work throw a resonator back on it, and you can also pick up some resonated tips as well. It will quiet things down a bit.

Quick Reply: Getting the exhaust noise out of the cab