3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am I gonna be on the hook to pay for this???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:03 PM
04LS6
|
Rookie
Default Am I gonna be on the hook to pay for this???

Hey everybody,
I just got some bad news today. I took my truck in to get my crank seal replaced, the front one was leaking pretty good. Also, I had a look at my water pump and I also had a good leak there.

Anywho, I dropped it off in the morning and they said I would have it back in the afternoon sometime. So I give them a call at 4:00pm to see what is up with my truck and get this. They have the water pump out, and they tried to pull the dampner off, however they sheared the bolt off! So now it's stuck in there with 1/4 of the bolt left in the dampner stuck in there, they are going to try to get it out with a bolt removing kit. But now I need a new bolt which has to come from the city and I won't get my truck back by earliest tomorrow afternoon sometime..
The mechanic said that he can't believe they got a bent bolt into there in the first place (which I don't believe at all).

Now to start off, they gave me a quote and said that is all that I would have to pay for all the work being done. Due to the issues arrising would I have to pay for all this extra shop time? I never usually get my vehicles worked on at the shop due to prices and I haven't had any issues that I couldn't do it myself, so this is really freakin painful for me....

What do you guys think??

With all the probs with the hemi's I have been seeing lately I wonder if it would just be worth throwing in a viper motor and calling it quits...lol

Last edited by 04LS6; 09-28-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2009 | 07:09 PM
draco8494
Captain

what year is it? and did you take it to the stealership?? if its the stealership i wouldent pay for the broken bolt, how much are they wanting you to pay for the bolt they broke??

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:10 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

if he gave you a original price in wrighting they are screwed . if you have it on paper there is nothing to worrie about

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:11 PM
04LS6
|
Rookie

Sorry everybody, my truck is an 04 1500 5.7L hemi. It's not at a stealership....I'ts a local shop. I didn't ask about the bolt as they said they have already ordered it, so maybe they are gonna pay for it..

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:14 PM
draco8494
Captain

more than likely, ive never been charged for stuff that they broke, hopefully its not to much of a hassle to get it out

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:17 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

the bolt is not anymore than a few bucks the labor for a idiot to try to ge it out is the cost issue. i hope he gets it out without causing more damage sounds like the guy is a idiot and broke it off . trying to watch a bad mechanic work on stuff is like watching a monkey f..k a football. he tries but never gets it.

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:23 PM
04LS6
|
Rookie

Well I just ran to the shop, but they were closed. So give me some artillary for when I go down there tomorrow to talk to them. I didn't get the quote in writing, just face to face, but he did write it down by my name and appointment time.... I don't know if that counts.

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:36 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

you ran?? wow you must be in real good shape.
just tell them your not going to pay anymore than what you were told. if they dont like it tell them to take it all back out . they wont do that anyway but im sure they wont screw ya. hell there locals not a stealership . if that dont work take a football in and give it to the mechanic and refer to my last post.

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:37 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Here is some ammo as well. The crank bolts are stretch boltsand should not be re used. If thay cannot produce the harmonic balancer removal tool and the proper instillation tool, i would ask them how they got the balancer back on. If they did what I suspect they did, (install the balancer with an impact wrench using the balancer bolt to run it down) THEY gauled the bolt and screwed the threads in the crank snout.

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:41 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

yup apples is right on forgot about that one good pick up bro ham

Quick Reply: Am I gonna be on the hook to pay for this???