3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Funny noise when shifting into park/reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Deroneill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny noise when shifting into park/reverse

I have an automatic and, for example, whenever I am backing out my driveway and i shift from park to reverse it makes a loud clank noise for some reason. I keep my foot completley on the brake when i shift. It also, although louder than other times, will do it when i shift into park. Any ides on what might be the problem?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 AM
jarhead03
Veteran

u joint. sit with your truck in park, then put in reverse, then into drive. If its clunking then Id guess ujoints need replaced. Or crawl under it and try turning the drive shaft, if it moves easily or has play in it, its your ujoints.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
motorhead426
All Star

You might check the rear differential backlash next time you have the cover off to change the gear oil. Mine was making the same noise for a while, then I had a second set of 4.56 gears installed (quieter set), and the noise went away.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
gmb4fords
Veteran

mine does this is as well ... thought it was aa dodge trannny thing, since they are rumored to be junk lol

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an '08 with only 6700miles. Ha done exactly what you described since day one.
One thing that helps is you need to come to a COMPLETE stop before you change gears. i tend to put the truck in drive as it's slightly rolling backwards sometimes (always in a rush..lol) and that is when the clunk occurs. there is nothing wrong with your tranny.

And the tranny's aren't junk. Just the 2nd prime gear and the torque converter are, the rest of the tranny is solid.

Quick Reply: Funny noise when shifting into park/reverse