3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

projectors and HID

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Aftermarket projectors & HID's = terrible output.

If you think you have great output, you just cannot imagine how true HID's would look compared to what you have right now. The difference is huge!
I think that your wrong on that note dog. I have aftermarket projectors and HID's and they are amazing. But thats just me. They are better than my parents BMW's. Its like night and day. Mine are truly amazing.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EJM05
I think that your wrong on that note dog. I have aftermarket projectors and HID's and they are amazing. But thats just me. They are better than my parents BMW's. Its like night and day. Mine are truly amazing.

Alright look. I'm sure they look much better than halogens. But you could improve the HID situation by installing projectors specifically for HID's.

sorry for the early on rant.

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to agree with Dog on this. I had pics off a HID board of cutoffs with HIDs in projectors and halogens in projectors and there was a big difference.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

At first i wanted just something better and now I just want nothing but the best..lmao What to do. i shouldn't discourage others that have aftermarket projectors because they still are a big improvement over Halogens. But they just don't compare to actual Hid projectors as there are specific situations to get the proper output.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

Ok yes. They would be better in a projector lens that are made for HID's specifically. But for the time being they do fine for me.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I have an audi as well, with projector hid's, so dont tell me what true hid's in "true projectors" looks like and whether or not my dodges projectors are just as good or not. Unless of course you want to go talk to the designer of audi and tell them that they have a sh**ty design. I have placed my truck, next to the audi a3 and ran the lights together, and guess which vehicle has better light output?? My truck, so you may have been unlucky, or you may be reviewing the wrong projectors, but mine, are really damn good. So before you go making quotes on my comments and telling me what you "know" compared to what I know, think.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 AM
xervo

All I know is the the projectors and HIDs that I have are terrible. Its worse than the yellow, hazy, frosted, dim stock units I had on it before the "upgrade". Its clear that not all aftermarket projectors are the same. Some people are having great luck with them, obviously. It is also possible that not all HID bulbs are the same as well, that I can't really tell. But if I were to do it again I would just buy stock replacements and get a better halogen bulb and not bother with all this crap. All I want to do is be able to see the road ahead of me, and I've been doing it with halogen bulbs up till now. Plus I hate the purple color of the 6000k HIDs I got anyway. Everybody says they are pure white but on mine they are purple. Not even blue, which I wouldn't necessarily mind. Anyway, maybe if I had spent the money on some nice "brand name" aftermarket projectors, like some of you have done, I wouldn't be dealing with these issues.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't buy cheap headlamps from Ebay and try and put HID bulbs in them, because they suck. This is the lesson I learned from all this.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

What about just getting some new replacement OEM units and replacing yours? Then you can put your HIDs in the stock units.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xervo
All I know is the the projectors and HIDs that I have are terrible. Its worse than the yellow, hazy, frosted, dim stock units I had on it before the "upgrade". Its clear that not all aftermarket projectors are the same. Some people are having great luck with them, obviously. It is also possible that not all HID bulbs are the same as well, that I can't really tell. But if I were to do it again I would just buy stock replacements and get a better halogen bulb and not bother with all this crap. All I want to do is be able to see the road ahead of me, and I've been doing it with halogen bulbs up till now. Plus I hate the purple color of the 6000k HIDs I got anyway. Everybody says they are pure white but on mine they are purple. Not even blue, which I wouldn't necessarily mind. Anyway, maybe if I had spent the money on some nice "brand name" aftermarket projectors, like some of you have done, I wouldn't be dealing with these issues.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't buy cheap headlamps from Ebay and try and put HID bulbs in them, because they suck. This is the lesson I learned from all this.

You are correct. You get what you pay for with HID kits. Bulbs are the most expensive thing to make because of the composition of materials inside them that produce the lighting. Cheap bulbs are allover the place as far as color and light ouput. There was a guy that showed the difference between the two HID bulbs that came in his kit. They were suppose to be 6000k which is ideally Pure white with a hint of blue. His were purple on one side and closer to a blue on the other. They were terrible and also, the light ouput was different as well. I'm sure that was more of an isolated incedent but it is clearly apparent that many have the same issue's with bulb quality. Philips & Osram are the 2 that everyone on the HID forums use.
One pair of Philips 5000k bulbs costs $189. Just for the bulbs! Superior quality that not only last, but have proven light output. They are OEM bulbs for 90% of car manufacturers. the other 10% is GE

Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Dog has a new siggy.

Quick Reply: projectors and HID