3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
BE AWARE that just because sellers on Ebay list them for a specific model year vehicle, doesn't mean it's a custom fit part. it's simply a Universal steering wheel.
The main reason nobody changes their steering wheel is because it is ilegal to drive around on the streets with them because you need to disable and remove the driver side airbag! Will never pass inspection. not here in NY anyways.
if you ever got into an accident, your insurance company could refuse medical if they suspect your injuries were to not having an airbag deploy because you removed it and could possibly fine you. medical is expensive. i wouldn't touch the steering wheel unless it's a track truck.
Excellent point about the implications of the medical insurance and not paying out.
The insurance companys would LOVE a case like this, so as not to pay.
They look for any way out like stealerships, to not pay.
Al.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker

i agree 100%... as a matter of fact i was gonna do the same thing in my truck, but then that was brought to my attention and actually persuaded me against it. i even had the aftermarket sparco wheel and everything. i just sold the wheel to my neighbor to use on his 9 sec. camero. im just gonna do the leather wrap thing

Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM
cordaco
Rookie

I can go for something like that...

Old 10-10-2009, 12:55 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
BE AWARE that just because sellers on Ebay list them for a specific model year vehicle, doesn't mean it's a custom fit part. it's simply a Universal steering wheel.
The main reason nobody changes their steering wheel is because it is ilegal to drive around on the streets with them because you need to disable and remove the driver side airbag! Will never pass inspection. not here in NY anyways.
if you ever got into an accident, your insurance company could refuse medical if they suspect your injuries were to not having an airbag deploy because you removed it and could possibly fine you. medical is expensive. i wouldn't touch the steering wheel unless it's a track truck.
Did you even look? It's an OEM wheel modified for looks. You have to put your covers, airbag, etc back on it, making it a stock wheel again. I would've already bought one if they made one for my year, but then again I'm not afraid to work on my vehicles.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Wheels