3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 hemi ram wants to stall

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 PM
tekstyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
I'd doubt that the transmission service had anything to do with it.

You say you have removed and cleaned the TB?
Yes I cleaned the TB and installed a new EGR.
TB was clean and didn't really need cleaning but after the EGR changed it did idle smoother.

It seems to be getting worse, so tonight I got a few bottles of injector cleaner and dumped in it. I know it is a long shot.

I am going to try and replicate it and check the fuel pressure tomorrow.

The TSB I found doesn't seem to address the dying issue only a rough idle, but why would it do it at 45k miles just out of the blue? It seems to happen when you are coming to a stop. I have searched and found lots and lots of people with the issue but no one has ever posted a real world common fix other that a few resolving it with and EGR change.

The plugs have about 10k miles and are a plain plugs if I remember correctly.

The thing runs very strong and doesn't miss it is just this idle issue that is being so problematic.

So any more idea to look into?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tekstyle- does yours stall when coming to a stop? and then start right back up? this was a problem with some 04 and 05's... i stumbled upon this when i was researching these trucks. most of the people who had this problem solved it by taking it to the dealer and having the computer flashed... i would look into that

Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 AM
tekstyle

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
tekstyle- does yours stall when coming to a stop? and then start right back up? this was a problem with some 04 and 05's... i stumbled upon this when i was researching these trucks. most of the people who had this problem solved it by taking it to the dealer and having the computer flashed... i would look into that
Yes that is it exactly, I suppose that is my next step?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Basically, the PCM update bumped the idle speed by about 150 rpm, if you have a tuner, this can also be accomplished by doing it yourself.

Another quickie band aid would be to install a cooler thermostat, by staying about 15-20* cooler, your PCM will keep the idle up a bit more.

A quick way to tell if it's an "idle only" issue is to check and see if your truck stalls when the AC is on and the compressor is running. The compressor being on will keep the idle bumped up slightly.
This problem is reported most in the fall, when people stop using their AC...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-11-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

hmm I just put a new thermostat in cause my old one was shot and cause I had leak that needed to be fixed. and I am thinking it hasn't tried to stall with ac on. but not really up for the thought of another 30 dollar thermo from the dealer. do the 07's have a cooler thermo? my pops runs average of at least 2 and a half needles below middle mark. my 03 runs a needle under. and if that's the case, I can just swap out mine for a newer year one correct? which will bring rpm's up enough to hopefully stop stall?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, you can buy a stant thermostat at any auto parts store for under $10.
But if you find that you don't stall with the AC on, meaning it's simply the idle being too low, isn't $30 for a stainless steel Jet thermostat with a lifetime warranty worth $30 to solve the issue?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

lol not with my part time job and a kid on the way. but I guess I can fast for 30 bucks of food... haha.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
tekstyle

We'll
The dealer claims that the throttle body has a short in it causing the problem and the short caused the EGR valve to go bad. (It is like 1 week old).

He claims the computer shows the parts are bad and they are 100% sure that these 2 are the issue but they have never tripped a CEL.

I bought a new TB from the salvage yard and now they are going to change the EGR under the emissions warranty and flash the pcm with the update and they claim that it will solve the issues.

My wife took it down there and they told her they would bypass the EGR until she brought it back and give me time to change the TB. It sounds like a bunch of BS to me but we will see tomorrow. My charge is going to be around $75 plus the $45 I have in the TB so we will see if this solves the issue.

Quick Reply: 03 hemi ram wants to stall