3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 using oil, no leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 using oil, no leak

Hey guys, ( I have searched, here and google etc. ) I have a 2002 dodge ram 4x4 4 door with a 4.7. it has 190,000 babied miles. original trans! only thing done other than oil changes tires and brakes was head gaskets approx 10k ago. I wasn't losing coolant or overheating but I thought I saw some milkshake type liquid on the oil fill cap so I had them done. while apart I had the heads checked and decked. everything looked great, even saw factory crosshatch on cylinder walls, no sludge ( Valvoline maxlife 20w50 since day one 3k mile changes, mopar filter ) anyway, 10k later I can't make it between oil changes without adding oil. in the morning if the sun is right and I get on it to merge etc. I can see my exhaust smoke a little. what do you think, these don't have a plenum gasket like the gen 2's do they!? I know this is high miles but it just started and I don't think it had anything to do with the head gaskets done 10k earlier. I don't use any additives like restore or z-max etc.. sorry for the long post but I wanted to be thorough. bottom line, do these engines have anything that can fail like a plenum gasket etc.. explaining this or is it time for a reman/rebuild thanks, Jeremey

Last edited by seabass202; 10-13-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.7 using oil, no leak