3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound proofing door

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 AM
audunfr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound proofing door

Hello.

I bought some sound dampening mats on my local car accessories store.
A friend of mine sad that the white plastic inside the door must not be removed. Is this true? (see picture).

I do not know if he is joking or not but if i remove the plastic wouldn't the new mat have the same function?

Thanks for any answer.

Best Regards
Audun

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

That white plastic is a moisture barrier if Im not mistaken.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to pull the plastic before you can apply and Damping pads. that's the first thing i removed.

I pulled the white plastic off. Cut 12" by 6" pieces and applied them to the inside of the door. I have 2 layers of 80mil on the outer layer(backside of the painted metal skin) and then one layer where the wite plastic crap used to be. it is a moisture barrier and yes the Damping pad will give the same results.
When I say backside of painted metal, I mean when i walk up to my truck doors and knock on my clearcoat...the backside of that skin. No harm will be done to the paint by sun/heat..etc. It's surely gotts help with door dings because it's friigin solid.
Your not gonna notice much noise reduction with just Damping. You'll need some other materials as well. Check out SecondSkin for actual noise reduction as Damping pads are just that. a Damper for vibrational noise. They will not block out airborne noises. i got my 80mil Damping material from Edead. All Butyl and rather cheap.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 PM
audunfr

Thank you dirtydog for that great explanation.

I will remove the white plastic and start adding the dampening materials tomorrow.

Since my English is really bad i am not sure i understood the "backside of the painted metal skin" do you mean inside with the window glass?

Thanks.

Best Regards
Audun
Norway

Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by audunfr
Thank you dirtydog for that great explanation.

I will remove the white plastic and start adding the dampening materials tomorrow.

Since my English is really bad i am not sure i understood the "backside of the painted metal skin" do you mean inside with the window glass?

Thanks.

Best Regards
Audun
Norway
No prob. I figured you wouldn't understand that's why i told it two diff ways. let me try again. From the outside of the truck looking at your driver door, what do you see? Paint, right. Every vehicle is painted (okay, let's not talk about DeLorean...lol)
Now, the other side of that panel is what i am talking about. Stick the damping stuff sirectly to that. That is why I said when I knock on the outside of my doors, it's a thud, thud. Instead of a hollow echo sound. That is also why i said it won't effect your paint in warm or cold weather.
If you still are not sure what i am talking about, once you pull the white plastic stuff off, look through the large hole and your looking at the backside of the painted panel. You will also see that Chrysler has a tiny piece of damping material there already. It's tiny. Cover right over it. Basically line the whole inside of the doors. Becareful not to interfere with any of the door lock mechanisms. I lined the bottom of the door and what ever I could fit on the backside of the white plastic covered panel.
If i remember correctly. I used 80sq/ft in all 4 doors.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:19 PM
audunfr

Thank you dirtydog.

Will remove the white plastic tomorrow and see if i can add some of these dampening mats properly.

Maybe there will be a question tomorrow also hehe.

Thanks, and good night to all of DodgeForum members.

Best Regards
Audun
Norway

Quick Reply: Sound proofing door