3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Truck Cap 3rd brake light wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:37 AM
beano52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUMP - Help needed with Gen 3 camper shell / topper

I wanted to bump this because I recently added a topper to my 2004 Quad Cab.

My question is:

My topper also includes a "cargo light" which I assume could be tied into the bed cargo light included with the factory 3rd brake light. The topper itself has a 3 pole trailer type connector. Where does the factory harness path so I might tap into the cargo light. Any idea on color (without taking the factory 3rd light out)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So as a forum commoner I must first be the one to say "Holy Necro" or something similar, usually accompanied by a matching animated smiley type face.

But, my cap I had two velcro mounded cargo light powered by battery, zip tied and velcroed to the internal carpet. They have lasted more than 5 years now. With basically no use.

My cap also had a cargo light, but since I have so many reverse lights (Prior, 4x 48w swuares, now a 52" 300w bar, on a dedicated switch) I wired it to them, so that light would go on in my cap and I''d have a visual reminder to when I put them on.

I would recommend you put your cargo light on a dedicated switch to turn on, but if not, maybe just run it to a running light, so if you need it, leave them on and step out and turn it on.

If not, pull your third brake light, test the wires, tap off one and run it through the cab, and to the rear.

EDIT: Sorry for any typos, I've been drinking. It's part of my job.

Last edited by KasperR34; 08-16-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Needs of the Corps.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM
beano52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I wasn't clear with my question. I would like to tap the topper cargo light to the trucks factory cargo light.

Hence when I turn on the trucks original cargo lamp the toppers cargo light turns on.

So, I'm looking to tap into the trucks factory cargo light wiring.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:05 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that, and addressed it at the end of my post.

Just pull the third brake light off (two screws) and tap off of the wire that goes to the cargo light, and run your tapped wire down through the cab, to the rear, and connect it to the wire for your caps cargo light.

Quick Reply: Truck Cap 3rd brake light wiring?