3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust options...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
javera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust options...

Hi all,

I am a newbie here. I just purchased a 07 V6 for my son. He would like it to sound a little deeper. Being that he is 16 and doesnt really know more than he wants it to sound cool. What are some good, inexpensive options to make it louder?

I have read some of the previous posts, but i am thinking they sound a little more involved than we want to get. Im thinking as cheap as possible, but nothing that will cause problems. His christmas list for this truck is already pretty long!

So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the best and cheapest way to make it louder would be to pull the stock muffler off (it should just be clamped on), buy a magnaflow 18" single in/single out oval muffler, clamp it on, and put a turn down on it to dump it under the bed. You might be able to reuse the stock tailpipe if you want it exit by the tire. I have a magnaflow 14" and compared to stock it is very loud so I think 18" would be a bit quieter but by no means quiet.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Twink
Veteran

cut off stock muffler, buy a cherry bomb muffler ( like 60$ ) clamp it on, get a peice of pipe bend and do a side dump BEFORE the rear tire on passenger side..

should be loud and sound deeper than stock and it'll be under 100$ ( CDN )

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

cheapest out would be a muffler. have someone put it on there and redirect the tailpipes to however you want. if you don't care, just clamp it on yourself, and get a pipe and just bend it down...(so there will be no tail pipe).

i recommend flowmaster...but everyone says something different. i have videos of my truck all over youtube...just search "derricksmash"

Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 AM
eltupac
All Star

I have tried the Flows 40 SI/SO, Flows 40 SI/DO, Flows 50 SI/DO. Out of the 3 only the Flow 50 sounded decent at high RPMs. Honestly and I hate to do this to you, you should have bought your son an 8 cylinder. As far as I know, there is no muffler that will make your V6 sound like a V8, none. Yes at start up, it may sound nice, but start hitting those 2500rpms or higher and you'll wish you'll take them out. It will have that ricer effect, but times 3. Its horrible. I never noticed since I am always inside the cabin and sounds ok, but outside it sounds bad. Some people will laugh at your son's ricer sound, like I have had older people here at work laugh at me. But hey, if there is a muffler out there that sounds ok at high RPMs please let me know.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM
javera

Thanks for the advice all. Looks like changing the sound is low on his priority list anyway. We will probably go FM 50 when the time comes. Right now I think he is thinking a better sound system.

Originally Posted by eltupac
I have tried the Flows 40 SI/SO, Flows 40 SI/DO, Flows 50 SI/DO. Out of the 3 only the Flow 50 sounded decent at high RPMs. Honestly and I hate to do this to you, you should have bought your son an 8 cylinder. As far as I know, there is no muffler that will make your V6 sound like a V8, none. Yes at start up, it may sound nice, but start hitting those 2500rpms or higher and you'll wish you'll take them out. It will have that ricer effect, but times 3. Its horrible. I never noticed since I am always inside the cabin and sounds ok, but outside it sounds bad. Some people will laugh at your son's ricer sound, like I have had older people here at work laugh at me. But hey, if there is a muffler out there that sounds ok at high RPMs please let me know.
It doesnt have to sound like a V8, just a little deeper. Ill relay the info to him see if he would like it to sound like a ricer at the higher RPMS... You never know, after all he is a fan of the Fast and Furious movies..lol.

No I think this 2007 V6 is perfect for a 16 yr old right now. Actually I think he is spoiled and I wish I had it at his age!

Thanks again all!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:49 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

You're right he is lucky to have a such a nice vehicle. Depending on where you live you might want to steer clear of the flowmasters as they tend to rust out, and if you're in a colder area where the roads get salted a lot it may not last long.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
eltupac
All Star

chambers is right. You might want to spray paint them with some anti rust stuff black or silver.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:08 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

I actually saw an ad the other day for new 409 stainless steel flowmaster mufflers w/ a 10 year warranty. Maybe you lucked on your timing since flowmaster finally started making the mufflers out of something that will last, just make sure the one you order is stainless not aluminized.

Last edited by chambers; 11-02-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
JeReMy18
Rookie

it might not be cheap but it cost me about $400 to get it and i LOVE it. It sounds really deep and sounds EXTREAMLY good and the ladys like it . BTW im only 17 if that helps you out at all cause what he will be going thro with his truck with his friends ive already been thro that. lol. And no one laughs at my truck when it gets to the "Ricer" noise and it wont happen till 3000RPM's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eCjha0jH8

Heres a vid of my truck. Its Flowmaster 40 series. It way worth the deal. . Also i did HIGH RPM's at the beging and it was at 4RPM's when it started to sound ricey but low it sounds really nice.

Last edited by JeReMy18; 11-02-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust options...