3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lighting Project.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM
j27nypd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Project.

I Bought eight 6 inch driving lights. each are 130W ....four of them are going to go on the front end with a light bar and 4 will be going on the roof with a RUK light bar I think.... not exactly positive yet. I also have 4 more 7 inch lights at 100W that I think I might put behind the grill but thats not for sure yet.
I also bought LED tail lights but thats just a plug and play so no issues there but should look pretty cool!!!

do you guys have any suggestions?

Im thinking I will probally have to uprade the alternator but if any one thinks differently let me know, because I dont even know what the stock one can handle.....Id like to upgrade to a yellow top battery as well..

One thing is its going to be rare that these lights are going to be on.

Regarding the lights, I think I should allocate 10 amps for each lamp that could possibly run at the same time. So 12 lights = 120 amps. does this sound good to you guys?

also I want to bring for the roof lights into the the cab but im worried about drilling a hole in the roof...has anyone done this and had problems? also if I do it this way can I find a rubber grommet any somewhere and not worry about leaks?

thanks for the help !!!! should be pretty cool looking

Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

DEFF need a new alternator

Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
j27nypd
Rookie

any one know of a good alternator to get and where?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check for ones meant for audio, the sell some that are around 220 amps and i think the stock is 120 amps. I would upgrade the battery too. DOn't get a optima or any regualr battery for that matter. I would get a AMG battery. It's new technology, i think they are military grade. Kinetik and Odyssey make them, so google that.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 PM
j27nypd
Rookie

Nice, thanks for the info KX..this is gonna get more expensive than i thought LOL...good thing i can do all my own work

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

Odyssey....yuck. Im sure im gonna get in **** for saying they suck but ive had nothing but problems with them and as for military grade...well they couldnt last **** on my bike...there was a little decal on top for ventalation that if it got punctured(very easy to do) batt is junk....they also shorted out inside on me (3 of them) then gave up on odyssey all together. A stock yuasa battery outlased both of them by two years and still going strong....i know this isnt on a truck but if they are that horrible for the bikes they cant be that good for anything else.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

stock alternator is 165amp on the 06+ models. i think the older one's were 130amp? HERE's a nice alternator

First off. That's total overkill if you'll never use them.
2nd, 130watt bulbs pull right about 11amps on the high side so you'll need more than a 10amp relay for each. I would suggest running them in pairs off of a single 30amp relay and dedicating 15amps for each light to be on the safe side. You can get away with 14ga wire for shorter runs, but for roof lights that require longer runs of copper, i would bump up to 12ga.
You'll wanna run individual fuses between each relay and your battery.
Optima yellow top is a fanastic battery because of their reserve capacity. there are 2 diff models for our trucks so pay attention to the reserve capacity and get the higher rating of the 2. if you have an AutoZone nearby, their Duralast 8yr warranty battery is as good as Optimas yellow top at only $90 compared to $180 for the yellow top.
One thing about the Optimas. You MUST fully charge them before you put excessive drain on them. They also are not that great for sitting for extended periods of time. Those are their only 2 flaws for the 10years I have been using them. A few guys out of a thousand give them a bad rap.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM
j27nypd
Rookie

Yea I know its over Kill, but i will use them in the mountains going to my house in the Poconos. other than that I think its cool looking, Plus I got an insaine deal on them... so yea I agree OVER KILL BIG TIME...But it should still be cool looking ya know?

my truck is a 2003 quad cab 4.7 fyi..Def good info you gave up ..thanks!!

I didnt really wanna break them up into pairs just because its to many damn switches lol. Id need to build a custom panel and my truck would look like a shuttle cockpit haha....

thanks for the input , im gonna DEF put that all to thought

Quick Reply: Lighting Project.