3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinion on LSD c-clip issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
dg2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on LSD c-clip issue

I have an '03 which only has 35K on it. Had the rear serviced at the 15K interval by dealership who just did the fill. Have been reading all the posts on the retaining clip issue so decided to service the rear myself this time and pull the cover for inspection. Well there was some fine silver sludge around the magnet but the oil was clear and no pieces of broken retaining clip found. The two that I could see were intact and fine(did service with truck on ground).

Since my 7/70 warranty is up in a February, are there any opinions on futher action? Should I just run it as usual and keep my fingers crossed and keep up on the inspections? Should I have them replaced by dealer or will the new ones be just as much of a problem? From what I read I don't think it's really recommended to just remove them. Or should I just start saving and having a different rear end installed before an issue arises that will make it cost more?

Thanks for any advice as I don't want to be caught with a huge bill, on my dime, in the future.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUPPOSEDLY, the mechanic i went to found metal pieces in my rear end. Unless he put them there to try and get more money for labor and parts, but I went to the dodge dealer and all the mechanics there were cool down to earth guys. They pretty much said to just put in 2 bottles of additive and run it. They said that the oem lsd sucks and that if it goes out, just replace it with a aftermarket. There are a couple I know of, Detriot Tru trac and the Auburn. the tru trac is all gears with no clutches to wear out. I'd say just put in more additive and run it. That what I did and everything has been fine, even towing trailers and driving it everyday.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the LSD typically doesn't give out until 60K+ miles. Mine lasted til 115k miles, it's a crap shoot.

Quick Reply: Opinion on LSD c-clip issue