3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stereo ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 PM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo ?

can you under power a sub? here is what i am looking at

pdx-5

5-channel car amplifier
RMS Power @ 4-Ohm and 2-Ohm: 75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1
RMS Power @ 4-Ohm bridged: 150 watts RMS x 2 + 300 watts RMS x 1
10-3/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 8-7/8"D

i am getting the alpine typer-r componets up front and 6.5 coaxils in the back both 100w rms. but looking at the subs i want to get the type-r 10" but they are rated at 50-500rms. i know the amp will push them but will it sound sloppy? i have the kids with me 80% of the time so im not looking to rattle off the rear view, i just want some clean sound. tired of the stock ****. also for the subs id 2ohm or 4 ohm better? thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 PM
VP64
Captain

you can underpower a sub, but have to remember not to push the limits or else the amp will heat up. as for the subs, i like dual 4 ohm voice coils. they can be wired down to 2 ohms to you can push more power to them since your amp can run in 2 ohm.

just like how trucks like guzzling gas, bigger subs like chewing watts. so if there not enough, its gunna eat the amps up.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

PM sent

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
jimmyslide

You can't really underpower a sub, you just have to be careful that you aren't compensating for the lack of power by cranking up the bass boost, frequency, etc..

If a system is setup properly, almost all your levels should be set at 0. Any yes, if you can extract more power by running the amp at 2 ohms, do so. With dropping from 4 ohms to 2 you won't notice any signal distortion.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyslide
You can't really underpower a sub, you just have to be careful that you aren't compensating for the lack of power by cranking up the bass boost, frequency, etc..

If a system is setup properly, almost all your levels should be set at 0. Any yes, if you can extract more power by running the amp at 2 ohms, do so. With dropping from 4 ohms to 2 you won't notice any signal distortion.
Yes you can.
Correct. Not with subs generally, but definately for the highs you will. It's the amp that suffers running on 2ohm with subs. 2ohms creates more heat for the amp.

Underpowering will not allow the sub to perform to it's potential. If you have only 200watts pushing a 1000watt sub. You'll find yourself turning the volume up louder to hear it which produces more distortion and heat to the woofer cone. Even if you cannot hear it, that is what is happening.
You want to find equivelant power for the sub you are running. 300w running an Alpine Type R 10" is borderline but is more than sufficient using the amp you have posted. The Type R is not a power hungry sub. It sounds good even on low power where as many other subs do not.

You want to match your sub up to your amp as far as Ohm rating. 2 isn't better than 4 and viceversus. It all depends on what your amp can support for what you want to do. Since your amp runs bridged in parallel. i would get a 4ohm sub. Single or DVC won't matter.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-04-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

thanks guys. dog i was hoping you would chime in, i have decided to go a different route thanks to weedahoe. i am getting the pdx-4.100 for the doors and a pdx-1.600 for the subs. that should be plenty of power for eveything i need.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM
jimmyslide
Smile

What I meant to say was that underpowering a sub won't do any damage to it...unless you abuse the lack of power. If you put 200 watts to a 1000 watt sub, it won't do any damage, but then like Dog said, if you crank the volume/bass boost/ frequency etc. and send square distorted signals then damage to the sub can occur.

Normal signals go in a nice clean wave form.
Clipped signals go up and flatten for a period, then down and flatten for a period and this just continues. Everytime the signal goes up or down and flattens it is clipping.

Some amps have clipping protection, some don't...

Signal should always be nice and flowing and continuous...

I have never been a fan of 5 channel amps anyways. I like a specific amp for the mids and highs and a seperate one for subs.

I used to compete in USACi and DBDrag, and my personal preference was always to have specific amps do what they were made for

Quick Reply: stereo ?