3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lights, lights and more lights. *Pic Crazy* 24 pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Ice-Forever
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your camera takes amazing pictures man....

Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever
Your camera takes amazing pictures man....

haha al blurry and stuff. My 5MP oldschool deal...lol
Pics get blurry when I turn off the flash.

psst...its not the camera that takes goods pics...it's the lights

Thanks for the props guys.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vedddy vedddy nice my friend the projectors yall are getting for them 06+ h/l's are looking sick i have yet to see a set that grabs my eyes for my style but the projectors and hids are starting to grow on me ...just not the price.....that i see yall throwing at em....

Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Fantastic lights bro!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

lookin sweeet. gotta ask, what you mean by adjusting the spacing of the bulb? you can adjust that inside the housing? i got aftermarket lights, not retrofits, and they don't look near as clean as yours.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
damien1023
Veteran

very nice dog... i love the sharp cut off

Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks good for sure.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
lookin sweeet. gotta ask, what you mean by adjusting the spacing of the bulb? you can adjust that inside the housing? i got aftermarket lights, not retrofits, and they don't look near as clean as yours.

Actually, these projectors had a small area of foreground lighting that was absent. Adding a 1mm spacer(done by TRS) changes the output so there is more foreground lighting. Generally, spacing a bulb changes the cut-off color and width I believe???? But 1mm supposedly didn't make much of a diff in the other categories for this particular projector.
Bulb spacing could be either good or really bad, but we are getting way over most guys heads on this. Most won't know how to or even actually notice a difference generally unless it was pointed out. D2S projectors use a metal retaining clip so there is room to space the bulb out from the housing. Aftermarket housings have bulbs that align and lock into place which won't allow spacing.

As far as clarity, these have a Clear lens where as most OEM have a Fresnel lens that reduces specific cut-off and reduces color. it's a lens that has lines on it which is why most OEM HID cars have slightly blurred cut-offs and no real color.(It's for driver comfort if that's believable)Friggin old timers hate change and they run the market since HID's are more of a "luxury car" item, but are making their way down the cahin.

Aftermarket projectors are for Halogen light bulbs, so the bulb depth is diffferent, the lens itself is totally different and the cut-off shield is different as well. There isn't a way to get afterarket's as clean without alot of internal design work, which is why i went to HID projectors. Since the bulb depth is different and specific. Most all aftermarket projectors have a wider and brighter beam pattern using halogens rather than a PnP HID kit. Putting HID's in causes the light to be area specific and does not distribute the light evenly and destroys the cut-off. Now, there are OEM halogen projectors that do fairly well with HID swaps, but nothing aftermarket housings can come close to, it's been proven time and time again on HID forums.

Which is why i chose a retrofit option. It did cost an arm and a leg though...lol Ohh, and like a week and a half of frustration going in between school and the project.
I think it was well worth it

Weed, gotta wrap up all your projects man, get those light in before next year! After all, it's only around the corner and you can't see it because you don't have HID's.....lol

Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

All of that did turn out really great! And the pics are from furture!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

HALOGENS VS. PROJECTORS

Just wanted to show guys a comparison that I took.

97 Exploder with 9007 Silverstars up against a wall 20ft away with the camera zoomed in a tiny bit
Name:  DSCN0711.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  51.7 KB

Ram 4300k HID's up against a wall 20ft away no zoom

Name:  DSCN0724.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  46.7 KB

Exploder lights

Name:  DSCN0714.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  49.1 KB

Ram Lights (fogs were on which only causes a bright spot in the middle of the ground only. Fogs do not effect any lateral(side to side) lighting. Just observe that actual ouput of what you can see overall

Name:  DSCN0721.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  51.4 KB

here's looking to the right, now you can see the fence is all lit up and the tree is fully visible

Name:  DSCN0722.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  56.1 KB

Now look to the left and the "hidden" car and trailer is now visible

Name:  DSCN0723.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  54.5 KB

I put a marker on the ground so both vehicles were parked in the same spots. Again, the extra brightness on the ground in front of the Ram is due to the fogs which were only halogen at that time, but once again, they do not enhance side to side or further light output over the HID's.

Quick Reply: Lights, lights and more lights. *Pic Crazy* 24 pics