3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

white smoke when started 4.7l

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
02ramrod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke when started 4.7l

i have a 02 4.7l and this past weekend i raced a mini cooper, and won but my rad started leaking at the seam and sprayin antifreeze everywhere. so i filled it up with water and carried a gallon with me and nursed it home never letting it get even close to the red on the temp. i put a new rad in the next day filled it up and sprayed out my engine compartment at the car wash to try to get the smell off my motor. since then it has been white smoking when i start it for about 2 or 3 min then stops. it dose kinda smell sweet sometims when i start it but not all the time. it runs fine not missing at all. and it dont leak antifreze i have checked it every day and it just sits on full. it has had a code for a while it is a c-code 23 45, 66 00, and 68 00. if ant body can help me i appreciate it greatly. thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
02WhiteRam
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the codes you are giving us are codes for the gauge cluster. My question is why did your radiator start leaking after you for some reason raced a mini cooper??..... Sounds to me like you may have a bad head gasket. Your sure its not "smoking" because its colder outside right?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Again, sounds exactly like what happened to my 4.7...Randomly one day it started running really hot and coolant disappearing...Sweet smell out of the exhaust and smoke.

Like was stated, you probably blew a head gasket and hopefully you haven't cracked or warped a head. There are different ways you can tell though.

Look for residue on the oil cap. You can also pull the spark plugs and look for **** on them I was told, but I never tried it.

It's really strange that you're getting a sweet smell from the exhaust but you are not losing coolant...

At least you won that race though....? Except they probably just laughed at you as you pulled over spewing coolant everywhere.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
02ramrod

Ya thanks guys ill go look at the oil cap and pull the plugs

Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know how you beat a mini they are light as hell and fast as fu..... compared to our trucks ....good luck with the issue tho the older 4.7s are having major issues i shoulda bought a fricken hemi......

Quick Reply: white smoke when started 4.7l