3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anybody with cheazy 3.21 or 3.55 gears looking to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Anybody with cheazy 3.21 or 3.55 gears looking to upgrade?

My factory 3.92s are for sale cheap! Both front and rear sets. I've held on to them in case my 4.56s ever had a problem, but even if they do, I will buy another set of 4.56s as I have 35s on my truck and will only go the same or larger in the future. So basically, my factory Mopars are basically taking up room in storage...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/parts-s...ml#post1877880

Old 11-19-2009, 01:25 AM
canadianbrute
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitley be interested. But every shop I talk to about changing gear ratios they just shake their head and say I would be better off buying a different truck. Sounds like major surgery. How difficult is it to do and what kind of cost am$ I looking at a)for your gears and b)for the install afterwards.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Find a new shop!!! Most of us 4x4 owners with larger than stock tires have done gear upgrades and a good many 4x2 owners as well. Single best mod you can do to get power to the ground!

Relatively easy job for an axle shop, but most regular "garages" lack the tools or expertise. That's probably why "every shop" you talk to shakes their heads.

It's very irresponsible for a shop to tell you that, because a simple increase of 2" in tire size will lessen available torque considerably and put a much larger strain on your transmission. Changing to the proper gear ratio for the size tires you run will among other benefits, put the shift schedule back to factory intervals and lessen the over-all burden on the drive line.

Installation is about $300 an axle. But really needs to be done by a good axle shop, a regular mechanic as a rule, does not have the experience necessary to set a ring and pinion.

I've got mine at $100 for BOTH sets, front and rear. Aftermarket they are about $225 a set, and from Mopar about $375 EACH. I should prolly remove the ad, I've actually promised to hold the gears for someone till they can come up with a cheap shipping solution, and if that falls thru, I've got two others want dibbs on them.

Quick Reply: Anybody with cheazy 3.21 or 3.55 gears looking to upgrade?