3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting headlights = no luck

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:39 AM
muns152000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey GOT_HEMI 44 how does the turn signal look from the side view, can you see it blinking. I like the looks of it blacked out, but since I am in Europe I want to make sure I am legal.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up got hemi.. I think im gonna try this out tomorrow.. One thing though, do you think the turn signals would be bright enough if I paint the reflective part behind them?

Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you paint them with black spray prolly wont see them you could tape them off and leave em ugly orange or spray with lht nightshades i used smoked vinyl to cover mine and it looks great at night.....

Old 11-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amber pieces on the side are just reflectors, they don't light up.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by muns152000
Did anyone have any spider webbing on their lenses? I baked mine at 220 for 10 minutes a couple of times but now I have some small spider webs on the lens.
No webbing here in the plastic, but I do have a rainbow effect on my chrome now from the heat....
Originally Posted by muns152000
Hey GOT_HEMI 44 how does the turn signal look from the side view, can you see it blinking. I like the looks of it blacked out, but since I am in Europe I want to make sure I am legal
PAINTING SIDE PART BLACK will not effect directional output. What will effect the ouput is buying chrome bulbs. They suck. Don't do it. i bought a set and they are super dim, but the black will still allow the amber to be very bright.

Originally Posted by Frenchy
but what I wanna know, is has anyone ever taken the fog lights apart?
I do know that Chad @ Unique coatings has had the fogs apart before so it is possible.
As for the taking apart...
Again, i totally deformed the black housing by prying it away from the clear lens cover. i just couldn't see anyway around it. You don't need the "retainer" clips that are there, so even if you break them no big deal. If your using RTV sealant to seal it up you'll never need those tabs. i just taped the housings together while the RTV sealant was drying. The peeled apart housing allowed for more silicone to be pumped in for a good seal.

Quick Reply: Painting headlights = no luck