3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cutout question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout question

I love the sound of the cutouts.... I mentioned doing this mod to some of my mechanically knowledgeable friends who all said not to do it. They said without backpressure it would burn up the valves faster.

Thoughts? Obviously a lot of people here are running the cutouts, but that scared me. I don't want to hurt my truck! I know in general that without the optimal amount of backpressure you can lose power, but I don't about valve issues.

I'm not looking to start a fight, just looking for straight answers.

Thanks!

joe

Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For years and years you always heard that if you ran without a muffler, you'd burn up the valves. I know I killed a dirt bike when I was in my early teens by running it without a muffler.
But now it's ok? Guys run the cutouts all the time now, many hardly ever going thru the muffler with no reported problems.
Personally, if I had a cutout, I'd have it open to impress, but I'd keep it closed when I was just hopping about or driving on the highway just to be on the safe side...

Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have mine and it stays open 95% of the time. The only time I close it is when the wife is in the truck and we are going a long distance. Ive never had any issues nor seen anyone with any issues because of one

Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Old skool days, when gas was leaded, valves were soft and would burn up easily. Now days we have hardened seats and valves that aren't as susceptable to that. Also, and perhaps more importantly, engines don't run as lean as they used to due to computer control.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:34 PM
05RamMan
Captain

I don't see it happening with current day vehicles... Although I do see lack of low end torque happening...

Last edited by 05RamMan; 11-25-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 PM
rebel61021
Veteran

I have been running one for about 2 months now I have noticed a little low end loss but my MPG has gone up a little maybe .5 to 1 MPG better when I run it open. Mine is open about 90% of the time expecially out on the open road. You also need to remeber that the cutout is after the Cats. and after the y pipe so there is still some back pressure. Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Originally Posted by rebel61021
I have been running one for about 2 months now I have noticed a little low end loss but my MPG has gone up a little maybe .5 to 1 MPG better when I run it open. Mine is open about 90% of the time expecially out on the open road. You also need to remeber that the cutout is after the Cats. and after the y pipe so there is still some back pressure. Hope this helps.
That is a good point.... the cats and y add some backpressure.... it's not exactly like running open headers!

joe

Quick Reply: Cutout question