3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Whining 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
okclbates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Whining 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 V6

I have had a whine develop recently on my 2006 Dodge Ram V6. It's really noticeable at low idle speeds (more like when you are almost coasting at a low speed, probably because of the frequency of the noise)-like if I am slowly accelerating to make a turn, go up a ramp in a parking garage, etc. I'm trying to figure out what might be causing it, and I am praying it's a cheap fix. I'm thinking it might be a pulley or bearings. Any help you might be able to provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

C. Bates
Oklahoma

Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Norris

I have the exact same problem on a 2002 dodge ram 3.7. I also believe I have a small leak in my ac system and need freon however the "coldness" of the ac has not changed since the whining began. I am not sure if the two problems could be related but I read somewhere that lack of freon could cause a whining noise in the condenser motor?

I by no means have any extensive knowledge or am a mechanic but I've been looking all over at forums and have heard a variety of possibilities. It could be the alternator beginning to go (bearings), to the power steering pump leaking somewhere, but could also just be one of the pulleys or the belt.

That is what i'm going to check this week because there are alot of other threads about the idler pully whining due to bearing failure, which is a $20 part, and upon replacement the noise is gone.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 AM
sabedra211
Rookie

I think my truck has a similar noise i was going to make a post with a vid but the noise didnt come out in the vid. mine sounds like a whistling noise , i thot it was a condenser too but its getting louder and i can hear it inside the cab (with no music on) But if i rev the engine the noise quiets . So im guessing its a pully. Im gona remove my serp. belt and see if the noise persists. .

Quick Reply: Engine Whining 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 V6