3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new rear diff c clips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah thats something i need to know.im hoping they were changed at 15k.i c red rtv in there and its coming out the sides like it was replaced at some point.i would guess that it didnt come from the factory like that

Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
fasttruck860
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just changed my rear diff fluid and the gasket was only red rtv sealant. My truck has 74k and I just bought it, but the fluid didn't look that bad. I can only assume the fluid was changed because the gears looked to be in good shape but I really don't know.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

i thought you were supposed to use black rtv for the rear diff but maybe it doesnt matter.when i do mine,im using this permatex 1 minute gasket stuff-it says and ive heard that you can apply it then put the cover right on,then torque it down and fill it right up with fluid without waiting.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
flwalks
Professional

My 2007 came factory with red RTV coming out the sides. No telling if your red RTV is/was still factory.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

o great,it better not be from the factory but then again before i joined this site i never knew what diff fluid was,lol im changing it asap but its winter here in ma so ill have to wait for things to slow down at work so i can take a day off and do it inside my warm shop

Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To put this to rest.

The clips are made from hardened steal where is the Trok-Lok (LSD) carrier is made of alloy/steel compound. You put that kind of pressure on the channel of the alloy and don't expect it to pull through it you must have been raised on a different planet!.....IMHO

I had mine pull through because of a failed clasp but only because of a fatigued bevel spring. I think the main problem for failure is slippage in the channel from clutch packs and stomping on the throttle (which does the same thing). Traveling down the road with load (towing) doesn't do ANYTHING to make these clutch pack dog ears to slam forward hard enough to break these clasps so I think we can put that to rest. There is no way the dog ears can have a force hard enough to break a clasp without being FORCED into it! The only way this could happen is if one tire was spinning then the other gains traction causing the dog ears to slam forward causing fatigue to the clasps.

As for OEM sealant, I have never seen red but who knows.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 AM
abarmby
Champion

I think everyone already knows what my opinion is on this but, I'll repeat it anyway.

The sock LSD is a grenade just waiting to go off.

It's not a question of if.............just when.

Junk it and get an Aurburn or DTT and be done with the problem.

Al.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:09 AM
JOHNSN10
Captain

Thanks shocker

Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
fasttruck860

Originally Posted by JOHNSN10
i thought you were supposed to use black rtv for the rear diff but maybe it doesnt matter.when i do mine,im using this permatex 1 minute gasket stuff-it says and ive heard that you can apply it then put the cover right on,then torque it down and fill it right up with fluid without waiting.
This is what I used and it worked great. Expensive though, but I was told it is the only stuff that wouldn't be eaten away by synthetic gear oil. BTW it's called Right Stuff and the only difference between the regular and import stuff is the color.

Quick Reply: new rear diff c clips?