3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'04 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and towing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '04 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and towing?

We have the same truck with the 3.55 rear. No problem with towing. Just remember to push in the towing button at the end of your shifting lever. This makes a real differance.The last time I pulled my 6,000 boat ,I got 13.5mpg.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:05 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

I have just gone through this type of thing. Let me share what I have learned.

1. Dont believe the Dodge Numbers. Weigh your truck with full fuel. Go to a CAT scale. Have front axle on one scale, rear axle on a second scale. This will get you the actual front and rear GAWR and GVWR. The first weigh in cost me eight bucks, then a buck for all others done within a 24 hour period.

2. Dont believe your Camper Dealer. Look inside the camper for a tag that describes weights. Mine looks like this :

Camper Tag
gvwr 7370
uvw 5090
ccc 1974
lpgas 9.75 x 4.2 41
water 32 x 8.3 266

Better yet, do "1." again, have camper hitched and on third scale. See links below for explainations.

3. Without a doubt, get a Weight Distribution system. Do not let the Camper dealer charge you incredible amounts for this. Hit the Reese web site for an idea of what you should be spending.
http://www.reeseprod.com/ ... there are other manufacturers ...

4. Dont let them sell you the Standard Friction Bar for sway. Its a piece of crap. It reacts only after sway has begun. Get the dual cam system which keeps sway from happening.

I have a 2005 QC 1500 4X4 HEMI 5.7L / 3.92:1, need to seat me, the hag, three rug rats and tow a 5090 lb Forest River Cherokee Lite (26' 5") with a manufacturer documented tongue weight of 600 lbs. When I do the math, Im over the Trucks GVWR by a few hundred pounds. Does great actually. The real test will be in June on the trip to Disney and in July going over the Smokeys from NC to TN. However, In my 5/100 extended maximum care upgrade warranty it says "The following vehicles are not eligible for a Daimier Chrysler Service Contract:" ......" vehicles not used in accordance with manufacturers specifications for payload and/or towing capacity" .... payloads got me !

My email addy is vidalch_1@yahoo.com. If you send an email to that address, I will forward a spreadsheet I got off the web some place where you can plop your weights in and get quick results.

Some Links :
http://www.towingworld.com/tips.htm
http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/weight/index.html

Why do I say all this ? I know I own a 05 and you have an 04, but I almost certain that limits are equal on each truck. If Im over, then you will be too.

... and buy the way ... good luck and enjoy the camper ... the wife and kids love ours ...

Old 04-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Feralhog
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Here's the specs/weights, etc from my first post on the subject:

2004 Dodge 4x4 Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7L engine, towing package, 3.9x rear ratio.

Trailer specs:
GVWR=7100#
GVW=5590#
Hitch Weight=856#
Base/Dry axle weight=4734#

I already have a weight distribution system with 800 lbs bars. Dealer will give me 1000lb bars.

I appreciate the info on the (anti)sway bar. I was contemplating adding one and didn't know there were different kinds.

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Dkhmoose

I have a 04 Standard cab Dodge 1500 Ste 5.7 ltr I am pulling a 28 ft keystone hideout weight about 7800 lbs. it pulls ok. I have the ez hitch weight distribution system. It works great. I did however add Firestone ez lift air bag to the rear end to be able to lift the truck back up to level. I obtained these from e- trailer and they work great. I just take a little 12 volt compressor with me when traveling to adjust air bags

Quick Reply: '04 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and towing?