3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Report Death Wobble to highway traffic safety

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 PM
HoustonDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I think I know what the death wobble is, you hit a bump and the truck jumps. Well mine would do that on freeways and roads, I hit a bump and the truck would literally jump to the side like I jerked the steering wheel and correct itself back straight. Change your shocks to more heavy duty and it should go away. Mine is an 02 and they didnt have the stock 20s so I put the 20s when I bought it (Dodge 20s) on and it was BAD, switched to 22s and the guy at the shop said my truck wouldnt stay on the road without heavier duty shocks. Changed the shocks to heavy duty and have never had the problem since, so I can see people modding with lifts and such having this problem, change your shocks to heavier ones...All of them.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:16 PM
thekidnotakid

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
That is NOT a powerwagon in the video. They clearly show the rear and the door, neither say powerwagon. That truck obviously has a lift and tires.

I feel bad for folks dealing with the wobble, but once you put a lift on and tires on you can't go back to dodge and complain about the handling.
I stand completely corrected. You are right it is not a powerwagon and it does look like the tires are larger than stock. However My powerwagon while still stock was a victim of the death wobble. I have a friend in Florida with an 05 power wagon who is also a victim of the death wobble. My truck 1st saw it at 38000 miles and his at about 45000 miles.

I still think that there is a problem with these AAM axels that needs to be addressed!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
thekidnotakid

Originally Posted by HoustonDodge
OK I think I know what the death wobble is, you hit a bump and the truck jumps. Well mine would do that on freeways and roads, I hit a bump and the truck would literally jump to the side like I jerked the steering wheel and correct itself back straight. Change your shocks to more heavy duty and it should go away. Mine is an 02 and they didnt have the stock 20s so I put the 20s when I bought it (Dodge 20s) on and it was BAD, switched to 22s and the guy at the shop said my truck wouldnt stay on the road without heavier duty shocks. Changed the shocks to heavy duty and have never had the problem since, so I can see people modding with lifts and such having this problem, change your shocks to heavier ones...All of them.
I am afraid that is not a death wobble. The death wobble is as it implies. While traveling at highway speeds, when you hit an irregularity in the road the front end shakes violently. The steering wheel occilates back and forth quickly and the whole truck shakes so hard it will knock the fillings out of your teeth. It does not go away untill you slow down to a crawl.

Quick Reply: Report Death Wobble to highway traffic safety