3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting an AWD Ram1500??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM
mxkidd38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting an AWD Ram1500??

A lot of suspension lift kits specify NOT to install on an AWD drive truck, and I've also came across that on one of the threads. Does anyone know the particular reason for this? And what lift kits can be used? Thanks.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:49 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

The awd has ESP. The ESP relies heavily on the stock geometry. The minute you lift it you change the geometry and the ESP goes nuts and throws a code. The most you can do s a level kit.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed......... I alluded to this in your other thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1923247-post7.html

Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 AM
mxkidd38

what about doing a body lift atleast?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I know when I was looking to buy in '04 the only available body lift kit was the 3" from PA. At that time, their kit was a NO GO on AWD models. Also suspension kits from Rancho, Fabtech and Skyjacker would not work on the AWD Rams.

I'd check with them now, it's possible that 5 years later they have a kit for the 04/05 AWD models, but due to the reason Rubberfrog explained, I would kinda tend to doubt it...

Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 PM
mxkidd38

Thanks for your help. I'm going to try to look into and see what I can do..otherwise I'm going to have one boring truck.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
jball
Professional

The reason these kits do not work is due to vibrations in the drivetrain - I think traction control or ESP wasn't an option until '08 on the 1500's. The front differential is mounted directly to the motor - not to the frame like every other truck manufacturer does it. Makes it real easy to install them at the factory as one complete unit, however, makes for problems on certain platforms if they are lifted. Every lift company out there (to the best of my knowledge) drops the front diff using the factory mounts - so it is still attached to the engine.

Ever notice your AWD truck doesn't drive like a 4wd truck in 4wd. Your truck is smooth around corners and not jerky... Your transfer case has different parts in it that allow this to happen. If you put a selectable t-case in your truck it would make it so you could lift it. You'd even get 2wd and maybe even 1 more mpg - which would make the swap pay off in 50 years. The vibration issue doesn't seem to be a problem in 4wd trucks, because people aren't cruising down perfectly smooth roads at 70+ mph in 4wd - when you'd be most likely to feel any vibration. When most people use 4wd it's on crappy roads or when you need more traction at slower speeds. I dont even know if you are supposed to drive that fast in 4wd.

I know certain other AWD models from Chrysler do not like larger tires and that could have something to do with it also (example 93-98 ZJ's w/ 249 t-case). The larger tires caused excessive wear on the AWD t-case and required expensive parts to be replaced too soon... or you could just put a selectable t-case in place of it (that's what I did when I had one of those).

I dont see why a body lift wouldnt work, unless it has something to do with putting on larger tires and wrecking the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Lifting an AWD Ram1500??