3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

difference leveling key and crancking torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 AM
mountaingade
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference leveling key and crancking torsion bars

Can someone please explain me the difference between cranking the hell out of the torsion bars and just adding leveling keys? I have red that by cranking the torsion bars, you can damage the u-joints, but by adding the keys shouldn't you have the same problem? I also red that some people add the leveling key and crank there torsion bars! I'm asking beacuse I added firestone air ride on my 04 ram 1500 and want to level off the front and I think that the only way to do that is the leveling keys.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in order to get lift using the tortion bars, they MUST have some crank to them. Either with the key OR tightening the bolts OR a combination of both. They all have the same end result, more tension on the bars! Which in turn forces pressure on lower control arms, which in turn makes the front end STIFFER, or a rougher ride. Also either way you go you will need a front end alignment

Hope that helps.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This one is asked about every day anymore. The search feature is a wonderful tool.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...uck-101-a.html

Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Stormin264
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the same question a while back before I changed my keys because I didnt undersand the physics of it all, and still dont really. All I can is that I cranked the stock keys and the ride was very harsh. I installed the lift keys and the ride was softer and got more height. Doesnt make sense, but they work.

Quick Reply: difference leveling key and crancking torsion bars