3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

not so merry xmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Kamel87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not so merry xmas

i got in my truck yesterday turned it on and started driving and all seemed ok till the check engine light turned on. then my truck decided not to shift out of second. took my gassing it up to almost 5000 rpm just to start moving from the light. took it to autozone and i got 2 codes p0700 and if i remember correctly p0871. i read a couple posts sayin if i reset the computer it should be find but the trans started acting up more. shifting late and slow and if i am crusing at around 50 and i take my foot off the gas my rpm will drop to around 1600 rpm and stop. my friend who works at the dealer said its the valve body and it needs to be changed. i called around and the cheapest i found it was 600 with my dads chrysler discount. do you guys have any advice on where i can find a cheaper valve body?

not to mention my wheel bearing just took a crap and that alone will be around 200

any help would be appreciated thank in advance

Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I've heard of this happening. The reason it didn't want to shift out of 2nd gear is Chrysler put into their vehicles what's called "limp" mode. It puts the tranny into 2nd gear so you don't mess it up any more than it may be already. It let's the vehicle limp either to a dealership or transmission shop. What sometimes the problems are is a TCM (transmission control module) or even a line pressure sensor. Sometimes these can be fixed at the dealer with a computer update, sometimes the parts are just bad. Just letting you know, you may not want to drive it a lot until you get that looked at!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pyro just had a valve body go, and if I'm not mistaken it cost him a good bit more than that...

Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Kamel87
Professional

so i found a trans shop by my house that will sell me a rebuilt valve body for 200 the lady on the phone conveniently remember to tell me after she had my credit card number that i should think about changing my solenoid pack so i called my mechanic and he said we might as well. so everything was around 500 hundred and he is only going to charge me 200 buck to install the valve body solenoid and both wheel bearings.

the good news is i convinced the old man as soon as summer comes around to stop wasting stupid money and buya new motor and trans. i figure 5 grand is cheaper that 25 grand and i still get a new truck out of it

Quick Reply: not so merry xmas