3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine wont turn over...idk what to do next!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
brisk87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont turn over...idk what to do next!

i have a 2002 dodge ram 1500, v8, 4.7L reg cab. this new years i was going up north to flagstaff, arizona to go snowboarding with family. on my way up I heard a clicking sound coming from under the hood. At first it was very quiet, I actually thought it was the truck next to me accelerating, but while i was trying to pass i accelerated and the clicking sound got louder. The closest thing i could say it sounded like, is when your batter dies and you turn the key but it wont start. So when I tried accelerating up a larger hill while on the highway, the sound got louder, check guages light came on, my oil guage was all the way down, so I pulled over and i shut it down. truck wouldn't start after that.

after getting it towed back to town my dad and I checked the starter, and battery. Starter tested good from both auto zone and checkers.

We towed it again to my grandpas house where his neighbor, a chrysler mechanic, gave us some tips as to what to look into. he had us take remove the belt and try to turn over the engine manually with a big screw driver. The screw driver was actually bending and the engine wouldn't turn over. He says that the engine is busted and i need to replace it.

Another piece of information that might have something to do with it is that while my dad and i were working on the truck the first time before we went to my grandpas house, the little red security light was blinking and I don't know if that would keep my truck from turning over, as if it were trying to protect my car from being stolent? I don't know, thats just a thought of mine.

I'm taking a look into engines right now, cuz i don't know what to do. should i pull it out and take a look at it!? I guess theres no other way to learn more about engines than taking a look at it yourself. plus i have a friend that knows mopar parts and will help me out!

thanks for taking the time to read this LONG thread but any input would greatlly be appreciated.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you either poped your timing chain and bent a rod or the engine siezed up. either way it's not good and prolly needs to be completely rebuilt, how many miles on it ? you can usually find a decent engine at a salvage yard for around 400-500 bucks, but you might want to find another powerplant for it a 4.7 replacement is going to be kinda hard to find an expensive, i would consider going with a 318/5.2. the engines basicly run forever with minimal maintance, theres alot of us on here that have 318's over 200 thousand miles including my self, and havent had any major problems out of the engines other than normal ware on hoses and sensors.

Just a suggestion

Last edited by yakkier; 01-16-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: engine wont turn over...idk what to do next!