3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine wont turn over...idk what to do next!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
brisk87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys! we had concluded that something went wrong with the oil going up to the important stuff cuz, agian the guage wasn't reading, and i had just changed the oil 2 weeks before this happened. but matthewbeard, im going to check that out, i didn't know you could do that, thanks.

so hammer, its know for this huh? thats good to know. thanks!

well looks like this weekend i'll have to start checking stuff out, starting with getting that code.

once i do get the code, does anyone know a source to get what the code means?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
brisk87

thanks hammer!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Add that link with this one and you will be go to go.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...m-alldata.html

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM
brisk87

Originally Posted by matthewbeard
you can turn the key from off to on 3 times and hold to on (on not start) and the code will flash up on the odo. FYI
so I tried that key trick, but the only thing that I got was a "done" message! Does anyone know what that means!?
I found a place that might be able to rent out a scan tool for me

Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brisk87
the little red security light was blinking and I don't know if that would keep my truck from turning over, as if it were trying to protect my car from being stolent? I don't know, thats just a thought of mine.
On my 2005 dodge that red light is beside the oil gauge, i do believe that is the low oil pressure warning light and if that is blinking its bag news

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
hontzy87
Professional

No need to rent any scan tool. Autozone will scan it for free if you want to tow it there.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Brokenpath
Rookie

Like they were saying, do the diagnostics first, but in terms of actual engine problems,

Sounds like a bad rod/lifter, or a piston slapping a valve. Be glad it wasn't detonation.

If you have the ability to leave the truck at home for a while then I wouldn't get too worried about it.

If you heard a loud POP then it died then you'll have to replace the WHOLE thing.

However, Most likely you'll just have to rebuild the top end. And/or replacing just one piston.

Take your heads off, and check your valves and the top of your pistons. If you find a bad valve then there's your problem, if you don't then check the lifters and rods. Basically, look at everything very closely and check for anything that even has the slightest scratch on it... Next, check your cylinder walls and your valve chambers. If those are fine. (Without even the slightest bit of a scratch on either one.

you can get some basic heads and slap those back on. DO NOT go to the dodge dealership or get mopar parts. You'll probably find cheaper parts from an aftermarket company that will even increase performance.

I've never done this on a newer car (ONly on older chevy 350's) but as far as i know all the rams have pushrod motors in them without variable valve timing or any of that crazy *** **** so it should be a simple process.

Don't get me wrong, it wont be some sort of weekend project with a smile on your face. However it is VERY possible and not as expensive as you think. It does sound like the engine had some sort of automatic shutoff though, because without something onboard telling the engine what to do it will usually keep running and cause a LOT LOT of damage so you basically have to play by ear or you'll end up replacing the whole engine. In your situation though, if it is even as serious as a top end rebuild it sounds like the computer shut the motor off before it got EXTREMELY serious.

A haynes manual should go a far ways. Good luck!

Last edited by Brokenpath; 01-15-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
brisk87

thanks brokenpath. i was actually trying to figure out where to start once i got in the engine. i was planning first to remove the oil pan and check for sludge but now i've got other things i should look at. i took a leave of absense from my sat. job cuz i knew i would have to spend some time on it during the weekend to work on it. ill start tomorrow. im on the right path already tho since i got the haynes manual 2 days ago.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

brisk, don't take this wrong, but you're probably gonna need that Saturday job to pay for the parts or if a lot of people on this thread are correct a new motor!!! Just givin' you a little friendly advice. hahaha

Quick Reply: engine wont turn over...idk what to do next!!