3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motive gear, worst customer support ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010 | 02:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I know when I got mine I inquired about what brand to get on another forum (didnt even know about DF at the time). Set up a poll and I think Motive got about 70% of the vote, followed by Yukon then Precision. If memory serves I think Genuine came in 6th out of 6 brands.
But after talking to the actual installer at 4 Wheel Parts in Orlando, he said that they primarily sell the Precisions and Genuines and in his four years there he had sent back one set of Precision for being just bad out of the box and had never sent a set of Genuines back. Coupled with the fact that Genuines had the lifetime warranty, I went with those.

In checking the poll in our own FAQ section it seems most do go with Motives, at about 40%, but the responses are not enough to get a good sampling. However, its good that you bring their recent shortcomings in the customer support department to light.

Ive got a local shop here by me that I didnt know about when I got mine, but have since gotten to know the guys there well and have sent three people there for gears (as well as a couple for lifts). In talking with their installer at length while he was installing Pyros gears, he told me that the Dodge carrier, post Dana, was the single most difficult to set up by far and you could throw the specs pretty much out the windows. There was a good bit of grinding and shimming that needed to be done and you just have to kinda develop a "feel" for it. Pyro can confirm this, but I don't believe he's ever had so much as a slight whine out of his. Been perfect since day one. If I remember right he got Genuines also.

Good luck with this install. Remember to break them in properly or you will be right back to square one! I am sure you will keep us posted...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-14-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2010 | 04:22 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Well I got the truck back today and it seems to be set up well w/ no real noise to speak of. They put in yukons and didn't have a single issue at all setting them up, so I guess the motives were just a bad set.

Anyway I've got to ship the other sets back to motive and see what they say. I should get a full refund on the 2nd set of motives since I never ran them at all b/c they wouldn't give a good pattern, and we'll see what they say about the first set that was set up 3 different times.

Old 01-23-2010 | 03:52 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

I had Motive in my mustang GT and they were LOUD! I would go with richmonds.

Old 03-15-2010 | 05:08 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Bump to update this thread. I got refunds on both sets through moesperformance after sending both sets to Motive (one to chicago and one to michigan). It took a little while but they refunded the money to Bob at Moe's and he sent it back to me, thanks Bob. After all this I still recommend you go w/ a brand other than Motive b/c it's just not worth risking a bad set and all the headaches involved. One final warning to anyone getting ready to regear, make sure the shop has extensive experience w/ ring and pinion work and does it regularly.

Old 03-15-2010 | 06:30 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Good to hear that you were able to get your money back.

Quick Reply: Motive gear, worst customer support ever