3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hid projectors for my 08

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmstar23
ok, heres the deal. you can stick HIDs in your regular reflector housings, they will be bright and blind the f*ck out of on coming traffic. 2, you can buy new housings off ebay for a decent price and stick you HIDs in there. yes they look cool with the halos and LEDs but i use to own them. they are cheaply made IMO and actually cut down on light output, but are less blinding to on coming traffic because they have a half a$$ cut off bar. 3, you can go all out. use your exsisting housing and have someone professionally retro fit legit projectors from a mercedes, bmw, whatever has REAL projectors. not exactly cheap, but its done right, and your light output will be far greater than either of the other options and you dont blind anyone, and you have CRISP cutoffs!! but like i said your looking at about $700+
I thinking of doing that soon. With custom halos like raiderjays. for the price... the final product will be worth it.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Spinkton

EJ, do you like those housings? i take it the HID projector is the middle eyelit in the houseing... what does the other one that has the halogen bulb in it do?

I donno, would be nice to be able to buy somehting like that already done up rather than finding someone to retrofit it, especially where im at. Maybe ill just go with FOGs and leave my regular headlights stock..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
mmstar23
Champion

the middle is the projector with the low beam, the higher one is a reflector type and its for the hi beam

Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM
swizzy_yo

Are HID's in regular reflector housings that bad?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 PM
nick0857

i say don't buy projectors i've looked at them for my truck but still can't seem to pull the trigger on them. if you have a 2x4 08 like me then you will be fine with hid's in the reflector housing since the truck already angles forward, it won't be blinding oncoming traffic (not too bad atleast) i've only gotten the occasional flash but thats why i have high beams too so i can show them what brights really look like and burn their retina. IMO i think they look cooler because the light fills up the whole housing with a nice glow, i've seen a few rams in town with projectors and hid's and didnt like it as much but its your own opinnion.

P.S. my sig is misleading i took pictures from my phone so of course the glare is terrible

Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
swizzy_yo

I've only gotten the occasional flash but thats why i have high beams too so i can show them what brights really look like and burn their retina. -HAHAHAHAAH

I have an 04' going to assume my housing does not angle forward.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
sharkhunter10
Captain

my eyelids make a great cut off that dont blind anyone. I have 6000K and had my cop buddy drive towards me and he said they were fine

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

DO NOT PUT YOUR HID'S IN YOUR STOCK HOUSING! you will blind people, its a fact, and it will be a pathetic light output compared to what you can have. I don't care what these guys who say "my truck angles downward so it doesnt blind people" BS! A halogen housing has no cutoff as to where the light will not go, hence the reason why a halogen bulb is designed to make that determination on its own, an HID bulb however IS NOT! You will be hazardous and downright rude to others if you put your hid's in your stock housings, I hate it when guys cheap out like that just because they cant justify spending the money, if they cant justify the money to do it right, then dont do it at all.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional

ya i just got my projector headlights in today. 700+ dollars for that custom fit. Hell no theres no way i would spend 700 dollars on my headlights. but if you got the money go for it. It does look good just really high and i dont think anybody around here does it.

Quick Reply: Hid projectors for my 08