3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED replacement bulbs for 03 Ram

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Texas Hemi 5.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED replacement bulbs for 03 Ram

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and want to remove the rear 3157 bulbs from the rear and want to replace them with LED bulbs. I have the resistor to attach to the wires, but I do not know witch wires they go to. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Texas Hemi 5.7

Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, for anyone who wants to add LED replacement bulbs to our rams, and they have a 02-06 ram with the circut boards on the tails, most charts will tell you to use a 3057 bulb, more commonly known as a 3157, well what most wont know is that there are whats called a 3157 SRCK bulb, so what that means that the 2 bulb types share plug sockets but the wiring in the sockets are different, now why is this little bit of information important, because the use of a regular 3157 LED bulb can cause a few different things to happen, some as simple as the bulb just not working, but also a bulb i tested actually caused a short in the system, which had it been hooked up to the truck, it would have shorted out the FCM, and we all know the FCM is not something to mess with on our truck, and its not a cheap part to mess up on a regular basis, so in short if you are going to replace the bulbs in your tails with LED bulbs BE VERY CAREFULL, if you get the wrong one it can be a costly mistake.

now this only applies to the TAIL LIGHT CIRCUT BOARDS, of an 02-06 ram, no where else is this a concern to our trucks, if you have an 07-up, you dont even need to be reading this

This is info from a DT thread that talks about this. So if you are using a regular 3157, that could be a problem.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Texas Hemi 5.7
Thumbs down I have the LEDs with the four wires

I know in order to have them work correctly I have to install the resistors so it will be able to pull the load.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM
jk360
Veteran

so does this mean that if you have the bulbs on the top with the 2+ and 2- no good? my tails have those. hey tex if you figure it out let me know. and where do you get the led replacements?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Texas Hemi 5.7

jk360,

I got the bulbs off ebay. I did my front turn signals and had to use the resistor to make them flash. The only thing is on the turn signal there are three wires and a diagram that shows you where to hook it to. The tail light has four and they are different colors on both sides.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED replacement bulbs for 03 Ram