3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roof Rack/Basket??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010 | 11:34 AM
j27nypd
|
Rookie
Default Roof Rack/Basket??

Has any one found/installed a roof rack/basket on the roof of there cab? im looking for one that will definatly work with an 03 1500. I know i'd have to drill through the roof , but i like the off road look it gives. ive seen it alot on other trucks , but not on the rams...

Old 01-23-2010 | 12:03 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Defender makes a nice rack.

Old 01-23-2010 | 01:44 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

I've been wanting to do this for a long time now! I want a roof rack with a basket that I can mount lights too but most importantly, I want to put my spare tire up there since it wont fit under the bed of my truck where the stock spare is. Have you found any thing that is not a drill style yet? I really dont want to drill into my roof for a roof rack.

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:31 AM
j27nypd
|
Rookie

im liking that defender rack...I think we have a winner!

Old 01-24-2010 | 11:44 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Only prob with a roof rack and a spare tire up there is clearance going anywhere. Just beware of that.
Not that i am a fast food eater, but you liekely won't fit through the lanes due to the usual height restrictions. Also, parking garages aren't gonna happen either. Like at the airport or in downtown city areas that have multiple floors of parking. i know my truck was close just as stock. i had just inches to spare. Had me nervous.
Plus, if you park in your garage, forget about it unless you have a 9ft overhead door.

Just a few things to consider when adding that much height.

Old 01-24-2010 | 11:59 AM
matthewbeard
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Only prob with a roof rack and a spare tire up there is clearance going anywhere. Just beware of that.
Not that i am a fast food eater, but you liekely won't fit through the lanes due to the usual height restrictions. Also, parking garages aren't gonna happen either. Like at the airport or in downtown city areas that have multiple floors of parking. i know my truck was close just as stock. i had just inches to spare. Had me nervous.
Plus, if you park in your garage, forget about it unless you have a 9ft overhead door.

Just a few things to consider when adding that much height.

haha parked my truck in a parking garage. the sign said 6'7" of clearance my stock height truck was 6'6" tall with the tires at 35PSI. made me for a nervous driver in there. good thing it was only for one night.

Old 01-24-2010 | 01:21 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Mine is a real joy in a parking garage... as long it's an airplane hanger.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack/Basket??