3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Member Looking for Insight on the Hemi Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Heidenreich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Looking for Insight on the Hemi Tick

Hi all,

Looking for some insight on a problem I am having with my 04 Hemi Ram QC. Truck has 50k on it, still have the remainder of the 7/70 left. Perfectly maintained, documented dealer oil changes. Last Monday, I started it up and had a prominent tick from the right side. Sounded like a lifter tick to me. Called the dealer, said it's probably an exhaust leak. Knowing better, I had the truck towed to the dealer. They listened to the noise, aggreed that it was internal, "possible broken valve spring" and I left it with them. After three days of not looking at it, they called me and said the noise had mysteriously gone away. Since no noise, they don't want to tear it apart to see what caused the noise. Picked it up today, no noise, running fine. What could cause such a loud tick and then just diappear?

Thanks for any insight you may have. Jeff

Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

If you read through the threads around here, you probably already know that hemi's have a notorious "tick" to them, some more prominent than others. With that said, it being under warranty I would have had a problem with a stealership telling me I have an internal problem and then telling me, it just went away, come get it.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Some people do have the tick as an exh manifold leak. Some are internal. Some use synthetic oil to quiet it down and others replace the push rods with 6.1 push rods. Some live with.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Heidenreich

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
If you read through the threads around here, you probably already know that hemi's have a notorious "tick" to them, some more prominent than others. With that said, it being under warranty I would have had a problem with a stealership telling me I have an internal problem and then telling me, it just went away, come get it.

Yep that's what I have a problem with. I've heard the normal "tick before, but this was something much more. I'm in Orlando too, so your probably familiar with the dealer. Normally they are great, but a little disappointed this time.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I'll bet you had a stuck lifter.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Heidenreich

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I'll bet you had a stuck lifter.
Yep, could be, but still not acceptable to me at 50k!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you wanna eliminate the stuck lifter theory get a qt of marvel mystery oil and dump it in. Run for an entire oil change and repeat again. Then everything inside your engine should be pretty freakin clean and all the metalshould be polished to avoid any varnish build-up or sticking lifters. If after that it still appears here and there, then you have the notorious hemi tick....hopefully. My tick started at just 400 miles. Now I'm at 7600 miles and it's just the same as when it started. While I'm not happy about it, there's nothing to do to remedy it and i REFUSE to even allow a dealer to tear apart my engine just to fix a measley tick that i am well aware of what is causing it.

Quick Reply: New Member Looking for Insight on the Hemi Tick