3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 12" L5s too much for me(wife)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 PM
disturbedgator
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 12" L5s too much for me(wife)!

I thought i could never get enough bass. so i recently sold my old system, two 12 kicker dvcrs and 1600 watt audiopipe amp. than upgraded to two 12'' L5s and a 2500 watt amp(cant remember the name). Well after having my rearview mirror fall into my lap three times and cracking. I(my wife made me) decided to sell the setup and go for a better all around sound. I plan on just replacing the door speakers with top of line speakers and pushing them with a 4 channel amp. the second reason is i need my rear seat back due to baby on the way. I have the simple four speaker system not the upgraded one. Im not gonna cut corners, im gonna buy my components and than take it to a good friend that runs a audio shop and pay him to install it(I have no more time anymore. So im seeking advice in what speakers to get(brand) i know alot about subs but not 3/4 way speakers. Btw i listen to mostly disturbed, FFDP, pantera, slipknot, conway twitty and johnny horton. I went to crutchfield and didnt help. Im looking for direct fit, im not gonna fiberglass (lol no offense tuned) thanks broski's

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM
meen green machine
Professional

well my dad had all of it installed when he had the truck they were installed about 5 years ago. ive got pioneers in the front and kenwoods in the back (which have now gone out) with pioneer head unit. it originally had a kenwood 1000 wat amp but after that got stollen in the olive garden parking lot i bought an infinity 400 watt just to put something in there i didnt know much about the brand. boy was i surprised that infinty 400 watt was way louder and tons clearer then the ken wood 1000 watt. I now have the 2 rear channels bridged to a sub and each of the other 2 channels to the front door speakers and also another set of wires for the p.a. sharing one of the channels for the front door speakers and it handles it all with out a problem

Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say alpine type x ref components on the front and just type r's in the back with a pdx150.4 amp. the run a sound processor in between. i would also get a pdx1000.1 and run 2 jl 8w7 8" subs under the back seat. the type x components can be bi-amped so run channels 1 and 2 through the crossover then to the tweeters then run channels 3 and 4 through the crossover and then to the mid bass. and power the rear speakers off the head unit. for a great sounding system you needs subs but only a 8 or a 10. the smaller subs hit all the notes better and keep up with the crazy music, the cool thing about 8's if the bass isn't enough just add more subs.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
ram man17
Captain

did you have a custom box and take out all the back seats with the L5s??

Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i second kx250frider617's idea.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

kfxs plan sounds awesome but i dont know if thats what im looking for. i just wanted to fill the existing door speakers with upgraded ones. but higher end. i dont know if components are what i want. i might add a sub later, it will be a smaller one so itll keep up with the double bass kicks. so theres no easy way to just get a four channel amp and up graded door speakers and have it sound pretty good? i know i wont have the same bass i have now. but i think i might be gettin over that phase.

and ram man yes it was a custom box that was wide enough to where i could bolt it into the holes where the seat used to be bolted too.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I will say that the Alpine SPX17 Pro's are pretty good. lack a little midbass but their tweeters are highly reccomended. The Pioneer TS-C720PRS are awesome comps with lots of midbass and nice highs, but they are discontinued and are hard to find under $300.
I run the Boston pro 6.5's. The midbass is fantastic and the tweeter is super clean. All 3 of those sets can be had for $~300
If I had to choose out of all the comp sets. Those would be my 3 choices.

As for an amp. I have a JL450/4 I'm looking to sell. Pushes 150w to the fronts rms and 75w to the rear rms. It's the best amp IMO for the price. Alpine is not good for SQ at all. Just look at their specs. Plus, they rate their rms power at 14v where as JL Slash amps are rated at 11v-14v doesn't matter. Provides the same power regardless.
For sub amp, Alpine is fine. Just pricey for what you get IMO.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I also wanted to add that anything Kicker is considered more of SPL than SQ. So if you want tighter cleaner bass then get yourself a diff brand. Not saying kicker sucks, but it just seems that they aren't for you. I personally don't like them as they are very loud with not much control. JL w7's won't fit in the Ram without extensive modifications plus there are other very comparable subs at less than half the cost. I like JL products, but their price for their subs is outrageous not too mention their sub line is a little overrated. Their amps are untouchable from any other big brand name within their price. You'd have to go to Nackamichi, McIntosh, Zed...etc to get into audipophile type stuff but at a cost of your right arm...lol

Give me a budget of what your looking to spend and I'll try and set you up.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:30 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought u sold that amp dirty?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

Id say im trying to keep it around/(or if possible) under a grand. Also that amp sounds like its up my alley. Pm me what you want for it + shippin.

Quick Reply: 2 12" L5s too much for me(wife)!