3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock Stereo Deck Sub Output?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
rochefort978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Stereo Deck Sub Output?

Hey guys I have a 2003 Ram SLT. Just wondering if anyone knows if the stock deck has sub output on it? I have it laying around somewhere in the attic of the garage. I have a Jensen deck with a flip out touch screen, and its nice, and looks cool but it's really a big pain in the rear end..

Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

No sub ouput on stock decks that i am aware of. plus, the stock deck ruin the bass output to save the speakers. The bass ouput decreases as the **** gain goes up plus all the crazy distortion that you feed your amp shows in the ouput of the speakers. You'd want to run a JL cleansweep or a rockford unit to clean up and restore the terible bass quality that the stock HU would provide.
Installing one of those line out converters will work, but the bass will just suck! Drawn out notes, missed notes, erratic and flat here or there...etc

Old 02-10-2010, 01:22 PM
rochefort978
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
No sub ouput on stock decks that i am aware of. plus, the stock deck ruin the bass output to save the speakers. The bass ouput decreases as the **** gain goes up plus all the crazy distortion that you feed your amp shows in the ouput of the speakers. You'd want to run a JL cleansweep or a rockford unit to clean up and restore the terible bass quality that the stock HU would provide.
Installing one of those line out converters will work, but the bass will just suck! Drawn out notes, missed notes, erratic and flat here or there...etc
Gotcha. The sound quality of my system now is excellent imo. Could be better with speaker swap but the Alpine amp with the MTX thunder 6000s sounds excellent. Maybe I should talk my dad into swapping me for my old Pioneer deck back for my DVD system...

Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
rpg005

I agree. I don't know of any stock head units with outputs and while you can install it with a stock HU, I haven't heard one that sounds decent.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

I used the stock cd player for a while because it was the 6 cd changed which is awesome. i used a converter and it was fine. No drawn out notes, erratic notes w/e. It sounded completely fine other then the fact that you could only have a set level of base. Meaning if i had the bass from the converter set at 10 and the volume set at 1, i would have no vocals only base. So i setup a killswitch on the amp and only listened to songs that pound and then turned it off when i listened to something that didnt. heres what the converter looks like, i didnt have this one wasnt as cheap and crappy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scosche+...rter&cp=1&lp=2

Old 02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
rpg005

Yeah but there's no such thing as a stock sound system that sounds excellent. Even if you put great speakers, amps, subs etc. in, if you don't have a decent head unit to go with, it isn't going to sound good.

Quick Reply: Stock Stereo Deck Sub Output?