3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 PM
spamn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I mentioned this but I checked tonight and the upper rad hose is hot and the lower hose is cool. The radiator cap is cool as well. This tells me that nothing is flowing through the radiator. My only thoughts are:

A.) the "new" thermostat I put in isn't working.
B.) The radiator is SOMEHOW clogged after only 20k miles
C.) I need to drive this truck off of a cliff.
D.) There somehow is still an air pocket stuck somewhere deep inside and it's really pissing me off. I've heard the 4.7 Ram engine is infamous for doing so.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if in doubt, remove the thermostat and place it in a pan of water on the stove, heat it untill the thermostat opens, if you get to a boil and it does not open, bad stat. drilling a 1/16 in hole at the top of the stat (if it doesnt already have one) will help the flow/bleeding process. If it does have one, make sure it is on top

Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air lock

Originally Posted by Horseapples
if in doubt, remove the thermostat and place it in a pan of water on the stove, heat it untill the thermostat opens, if you get to a boil and it does not open, bad stat. drilling a 1/16 in hole at the top of the stat (if it doesnt already have one) will help the flow/bleeding process. If it does have one, make sure it is on top
My guess is that you are still air bound and not getting circulation. Horseapples has the plan to check the thermostat. I just recently had a newly installed thermostat failed after 2 weeks of use. The asprin trick is a great idea. I have been wrenching for more than forty years and that was the first I had heard of that trick. Learn something everyday.
To help with bleeding the system I squeeze the hoses to move the water allowing the air to excape. Also, turn the heater on to help with circulation.

Good luck..

Last edited by RedTruck-VA; 02-13-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM
meen green machine
Professional

my uncle had a 4.7 with around 90k on it and it started over heating. the dealership told him he had a small crack in the head and they replaced it and it works fine

but it is a dealership however

Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 AM
mmstar23
Champion

bump to the top for more exposure man. my 4.7 had heating issues as well. sucks! hope you figure it out!!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My mom had a minivan once. And it overheated. We took the rad out and had it checked. No prob there. We replaced the stat. Then we replaced the water pump not once but 3 times. We kept building pressure in the coolant and they actually had a small bleeder valve in the top of the stat housing. It was one like the ones used to bleed brakes. Come to find out, one of the head gaskets was leaking JUST enough that air was getting in the system

Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
wyseguy77
Captain

Bump.....

Old 02-14-2010, 01:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

A few guys with 4.7's have had radiators plug up on them. Are both feeds in/out hot?

u got the right t-stat installed? the right way??

Check the oil to make sure there's no headgasket issue's.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:03 PM
spamn

As much as I want to think air pocket, I'm wondering about the radiator now. The upper hose is hot but the cap and lower hose are cool. I know a huge air pocket COULD cause this, but I'm wondering if the radiator is clogged with something else. It's just with 20k miles on the trucks it's hard to believe. After draining the system and installing the water pump, I hate to take the radiator off. I'm going to continue to try to burp the system this weekend and if all else fails, I guess I'll be taking the radiator off. Anyway to test it? It's not leaking so it shouldn't need to be replaced. Maybe draining into a clean bucket and then trying a sytem flush? I'm tired of wasting $30 of antifreeze.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
mcgoo89
Veteran

I would vote clogged radiator.. Have seen it a few time on the 4.7s. Just touch it when its hot, one side is going to be burning hot and the other side is goin to be cold. Had the same problem with mine, but not to the extent your at, replaced radiator and was fine..

Quick Reply: Overheating