3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd wont kick in???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
blairjbyrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd wont kick in???

I have a 06 1500 and just recently noticed that the cruise control wont work. It snowed here and I need my 4wd but light just keeps blinking on the dash and the 4wd wont work. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
llwolfemanll

I just went through this 4wd problem on my ’06 Ram myself. I would switch to 4HI and the light would just flash then go out. Check for loose connections first. Come to find out on mine the actuator was burnt up. You can order them online for around a $100 and it is an easy fix. Just four bolts and some gear oil. Dealer wanted $815 to fix. TSB # 03-001-07 covers this problem, has to do with the electronic disconnect actuator on the front differential. When you put the transfer case in 4wd the motor on the transfer case moves to engage four wheel drive, and the disconnect actuator on the right side axle tube slides a collar to lock the left and right axle shafts together to finish putting you in four wheel drive. This TSB is for some specific problems with the disconnect actuator, and involves replacing the actuator and reprogramming the software in the TIPM. Although the two dealerships I went to said there was not a flash file to reprogram the TIPM. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Hemi-5.7
Professional

had the same problem earlier this winter. It happened to be a bad wheel speed sensor. Its a DIY fix, the dealership tries to charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you trying to engaged 4-Hi or 4-Lo? 4-lo is tempermental, but 4Hi should engage right away. There is a little reset button on the lower right corner I believe?? I forget what the owners anual said that was for?
Anyways, while in drive and in 4Hi with the light blinking try to go in reverse for a few feet and then put the truck in nuetral. if nothing happens then you likely have a problem stated above. my guess is an actuator.

Quick Reply: 4wd wont kick in???