3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Been thinking about exhaust....opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Black97Sport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been thinking about exhaust....opinions....

Been thinking about an exhaust set up on the truck. I did searches...this is not your normal what muffler shoudl I run etc. So...got to thinking something custom. Get rid of the factory y pipe and run a true dual set up. Run 3" from the factory headers to a 3" x-pipe....then into 1 muffler, a magnaflow 3" Dual in, dual out, then back out the rear....I have always had performance cars and used to true dual exhasut, the sound etc. I got to wondering what it would be like running 1 muffler when everything else is dual, even though the muffler is dual in/dual out? Any opinions or thoughts?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

My HEMI I went cheap for some mild sound. I just replace my stock muffler with a cheap glasspack and left the resignator. I don't really notice any power change but it gave a good sound at about 3500 rpm.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont see the point of going from an X pipe to a DI/DO muffler. kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. i would say do one or the other, not both. either have an X pipe and 2 mufflers, or no X pipe and a DI/DO muffler which acts sorta like an X.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 AM
wyseguy77
Captain

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
i dont see the point of going from an X pipe to a DI/DO muffler. kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. i would say do one or the other, not both. either have an X pipe and 2 mufflers, or no X pipe and a DI/DO muffler which acts sorta like an X.
+1.....

Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 AM
RamGentry13
Veteran

to be honest i dont see why you'd do a complete dual exhaust and leave the stock manifolds...

Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Black97Sport
Professional

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
Yeah after thinking more on it with some more research I kinda fig. that it would work agiasnt it self. I wasnt exactly sure how the dual in/out mufflers worked and did some searching on them. Thanks!

Originally Posted by RamGentry13
to be honest i dont see why you'd do a complete dual exhaust and leave the stock manifolds...
Im sure there are plenty of gains to be had even with stock manifolds. There must be a reason that many v8 performance cars dont run single exhust, I have had camaros and mustangs both with long tubes and factory and shorty headers all with dual exhaust, so I know a little about exhasut etc....just never knew much about how a dual in/dual out muffler worked....now I know

Quick Reply: Been thinking about exhaust....opinions....