3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Importance of the CarFax report.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010 | 11:50 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bamataco
Just so that you guys know. Participation by dealers in Car Fax is vollentary. They can add as much or as little info as they want. they can completely skip a vehicle if they want. You can depend usually on how many owners a vehicle has had because that comes from motor vehicle records. But many dealers and auto repair and body shops participate on a vollentary basis.
You can get a CarFax report from home on your computer, you have to pay for it but as long as you have the Vin # you can check the history of any vehicle on the road today.

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:18 PM
bwhite757
|
All Star

Just an update, the truck was sold Saturday. My buddy said he called up there about it, and the salesman told him, "It was a hot item, and sold quickly..."

Anyway, I also agree in today's information age, the buyer should be well educated on the vehicle before negotiations even begin. I have no problems with the "New" vehicle sales department of this dealership, they took care of me, and I feel like I got a good deal on both the trade-in portion of my Ram, and with the price of my new car (Chevy HHR), but I also was well aware of the TMV of the HHR, and kbb and nada trade-in value I should have expected on my truck. They gave me more than I was looking for on my truck, and sold me the HHR for less than what I was willing to pay, ultimately I'm a happy customer.

I can't say I agree with their used car sales tactics, but I also KNOW that 90% of dealerships sell used cars this way. Is it right or wrong, well definitely wrong, but Salesman 101, if you're happy, and the customer is happy, then it's a good deal, but again this doesn't make it right....

Either way, this was just a post to inform you guys on what could happen, so just make sure it doesn't happen to you.

And if you see someone joining the forum in the next few weeks, posting pictures of my old truck, well let him/her down easy.....

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:24 PM
oefootball_70
Champion

DAMN dude, thats crazy. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:55 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
You can get a CarFax report from home on your computer, you have to pay for it but as long as you have the Vin # you can check the history of any vehicle on the road today.

hes talking about the insurance companys or shops that put the info into the carfax database.

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:58 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Markmm0000
hes talking about the insurance companys or shops that put the info into the carfax database.
Ok, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-02-2010 | 07:33 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by Markmm0000
carfax are as useful as a haynes manual.
Hear, hear! The Carfax on my wife's 300 does not show the two minor crunches it's sustained.

Old 03-03-2010 | 10:20 AM
bamataco
Veteran

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
Thats true,but never the less it is only the motor vehicle departments info that you can really count on. Body shops and auto dealers are not bound in any way to report to the Car Fax company. they can report as little or as much as they want. Or not at all.

Quick Reply: Importance of the CarFax report.