3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Fogs behind the grill...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mikey, you got HomeLink. I'll bet your buttons #2 & #3 are not being used. You could have done a wireless relay and programmed the HomeLink buttons to turn you lights off and on. That's what I did in my Grand Cherokee...

Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought of using Homelink for other things!

Anyway, how can you have "too much" light when the high beams are on? You only use them when nobody is present to be bothered by them anyway.

I'm glad cops here don't care about lighting (unless you're highbeaming somebody). Who gives a damn whether I have 2 or 4 bulbs lit when they're all aimed down a dark road?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by John M
I never thought of using Homelink for other things!
Anything with a remote. You just take one of the key fobs that come with the wireless relay, put the HomeLink in learn mode, push the button and you're done.

Anyway, how can you have "too much" light when the high beams are on? You only use them when nobody is present to be bothered by them anyway.

I'm glad cops here don't care about lighting (unless you're highbeaming somebody). Who gives a damn whether I have 2 or 4 bulbs lit when they're all aimed down a dark road?

Depends on the state or the cop. We have a former site mod here who got nailed by a state cop for having his Hellas (that I mounted on his grill guard) uncovered. DURING THE DAY AND THEY WERE OFF!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never thought of using Homelink for other things! Me either! Guess I'm too "old school".

Anyway, how can you have "too much" light when the high beams are on? You only use them when nobody is present to be bothered by them anyway. I sometimes use mine to remind some mouth-breathing, texting moron their brights are still on.

I just like the control of the separate switch.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Deathrend
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spend $3 on a 30 amp switch from Radioshack. Let's you leave out the relay, seems a bit easier on cabling.

Dirtydog has a good writeup about this in the FAQ's, worth a read if you're really having issues. I followed that for the most part, including opting for the 100 watt bulb upgrade (If it's illegal to run them anyway, why restrict the amount of light for when you do need them, right?).

Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

Here is where I mounted my relay

Here is how I ran my switch

the finished product

Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
.Depends on the state or the cop. We have a former site mod here who got nailed by a state cop for having his Hellas (that I mounted on his grill guard) uncovered. DURING THE DAY AND THEY WERE OFF!!!
I know all too well about this. In PA or at least in my area of PA, it is illegal to have covers off of your lights, even if they are off, when on public roads. Had KC's on my rollbar of my old chevy and forgot to put covers on after a night of wheelin' and luckily only got a warning.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by nussdawg395
I know all too well about this. In PA or at least in my area of PA, it is illegal to have covers off of your lights, even if they are off, when on public roads. Had KC's on my rollbar of my old chevy and forgot to put covers on after a night of wheelin' and luckily only got a warning.
Luckily for this guy, he had his covers in the truck and the cop also let him off with a warning, but assured him that if the covers had not been there to be to cover the lights on the spot, his a$$ was getting a ticket.

Originally Posted by Deathrend
Just spend $3 on a 30 amp switch from Radioshack. Let's you leave out the relay, seems a bit easier on cabling.
It's just not a good idea to run high amperage wire through the dash like that. That's how fires happen. Comparatively, a wire coming off a relay to a simple switch draws about 1/3 of 1 amp and poses no threat. High amp draws should be left in the engine compartment...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Deathrend
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It's just not a good idea to run high amperage wire through the dash like that. That's how fires happen. Comparatively, a wire coming off a relay to a simple switch draws about 1/3 of 1 amp and poses no threat. High amp draws should be left in the engine compartment...
Mm, never thought of that.. Good think I still have the relays I guess.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Deathrend
Mm, never thought of that.. Good think I still have the relays I guess.
I did it the old fashioned way for years in trucks, SUVs, cars, boats, etc. Luckily even though I've smoked a few wires in my day, I've never had one catch fire. Unfortunately, I've seen first hand how a vehicle can burn to the ground from just a cut wire carrying a decent amp draw as well as too thin a wire used for the amperage going through it. Fortunately, never anything I wired or my own stuff though.

Once I learned the advantages of relays, I've used them ever since. You can do some really cool stuff by combining or stacking them as well...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-10-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: really bad grammar, LOL...

Quick Reply: Installing Fogs behind the grill...help!