3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Viper 5901 RS on 06 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
rbeard79
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5901 RS on 06 Ram

Hey guys...anyone install a remote start on their 06 or newer ram? I have gotten everything working great except for when I remote start the truck, the temp gauge on the overhead console goes to -40*??? It does not do this if I start with the key, so it is the rs! I have a DLPKCHG2 bypass from xresskit.com. Any ideas as to what would be causing this? Thanks!!

And I did try and found nothing!!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Kebo
Professional

Sorry as I don't have an answer for your question, but I do have some questions for you? I just bought a Viper 5901 and plan on doing the install for myself. What "gotchas" did you run into, or what info could you impart? Thanks

Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Kebo
Professional

Also, you might try asking this question in the car audio forum over at www.techsupportforum.com might have a little better response.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
rbeard79
Amateur

Originally Posted by Kebo
Sorry as I don't have an answer for your question, but I do have some questions for you? I just bought a Viper 5901 and plan on doing the install for myself. What "gotchas" did you run into, or what info could you impart? Thanks
First off...it is an awesome alarm/rs. I love it!! MAke sure you get a bypass if your truck needs one. I got the DLPKCHG2 from xpresskit.com and it helped so much because it takes care of almost everything. Only like 7 connections to the truck. If you use a bypass module, do not use the D2D cable. I was told they have problms with our trucks and fry the bypass module for some reason. Make sure you grab the MUX wire at the ignition switch, not down on the column because it has to be before the skirm module in the truck or it will not start.

Thats all I can think of right off hand. Let me know if you run into any problems and I will try to help. Oh, and make sure you roll down your windows while working. I accidentally locked my keys in there when the rs wasnt working. For some reason it locked the doors when it wouldn't remote start, and would not unlock them. Had to pay $40.00 to get back into the truck and wasted 2 hours of my time!!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Kebo
Professional

Originally Posted by rbeard79
First off...it is an awesome alarm/rs. I love it!! MAke sure you get a bypass if your truck needs one. I got the DLPKCHG2 from xpresskit.com and it helped so much because it takes care of almost everything. Only like 7 connections to the truck. If you use a bypass module, do not use the D2D cable. I was told they have problms with our trucks and fry the bypass module for some reason. Make sure you grab the MUX wire at the ignition switch, not down on the column because it has to be before the skirm module in the truck or it will not start.

Thats all I can think of right off hand. Let me know if you run into any problems and I will try to help. Oh, and make sure you roll down your windows while working. I accidentally locked my keys in there when the rs wasnt working. For some reason it locked the doors when it wouldn't remote start, and would not unlock them. Had to pay $40.00 to get back into the truck and wasted 2 hours of my time!!

So you didn't have to use relays or diodes? Also, I don't have the immobilizer in my truck. Just the standard black key. I can make copies at the hardware store. So I don't guess a bypass module would do me any good? Did you cut and splice or cut and solder?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
rbeard79
Amateur

I didn't hae to use relays or diodes becausethe bypass module controls the doors, the factory alarm, the dome light, the parking lights and horn, the 2nd start, the immobilizer, and the list goes on. I wouldneed to use a relay if I hook up the parking lights to run during remote start, but that is not all that important to me. They flash any other time though because of the bypass. You might check and see if you can get a module that will control the canbus system in your truck to make the install easier. Don't know if your truck would take one without having the immobilizer??
I used the posi-taps for my install and love them. They are alittle big, but more reliable than the splice connections. I have not used solder much, so that wasn't an option for me. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Viper 5901 RS on 06 Ram