3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HIDS CAUSE MORE POLICE ATTENTION.. what do you think...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
2008Dodgeramblackedout
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDS CAUSE MORE POLICE ATTENTION.. what do you think...

ever since i have gotten HIDS i have gotten pulled over more frequently, not for the hids but for speeding and tint and other stuff.. but i never used to get pulled over until i had the HIDS installed.. even if i sped past a cop he still wouldnt pull me over. what do you guys think?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Animal Mother
Captain

A vehicle with HID's is going to stick out more just because it looks different so it's a possibility.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Well, they do get you noticed more, which is kinda what we're going for, right? Of course, we want to see better and all that jazz, but we really like to be seen too, which is a double-edged sword sometimes, like in your case...

Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
dodgegirl05
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havent been bothered since i pull my tint off, even with my exhaust being so loud! lol

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mom got pulled over in my truck the other night. First time my truck has ever been pulled over and I have HID's I didn't before. But I wasn't there to see how much of a maniac she was driving like.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM
2008Dodgeramblackedout
Professional

yeahh i have been pulled over 8 times since i have put them in lol in the course of a year

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Animal Mother
Captain

good lord stop speeding so much or buy a radar detector

Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM
OkieDodgeTRP
Rookie

Coming from a state trooper yes they will get you stopped more. Especially if the beams are not aligned correctly and you are shining passing motorist in the eyes. I normally let em go, along with loud exhaust, tint, etc. HIDs only become a problem when aimed to high. Exhaust only becomes a problem when it makes your foot get heavy, or ya wanna show off and accelerate in town just to hear it ring. Tint...I could care less as long as your polite. If ya wanna be an ******* I'll bring my guage out and see if your legal. I have even ruined a few tint jobs with a razor for some punks who thought they were gonna get cute.

Just remember to be polite and most times officers will let equipment violations go. Never try and tell the officer he is wrong. Just yesterday I stopped a ford for taking off downtown like he was running a 1/4 mile. Brought him back to my car and told him the reason I stopped him was unsafe acceleration and modified exhaust. Had every intention of giving him a warning and he began telling me modified exhaust was not illegal. In Oklahoma any modification is illegal, we just overlook it for the most part. Anyways I had to get a bit nasty with this cat and broke out the law book to shut him up. He got a nice cite to for running his mouth where as he had a warning if he'd just said yes sir and been done with it.

I got a call back this morning to my super cause I told him to quit driving like an ******* lol. It slipped.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008Dodgeramblackedout
yeahh i have been pulled over 8 times since i have put them in lol in the course of a year

Geez, I haven't been pulled over but once in the past 5 years.

A few things I have avoided....

*dark tint....I currently run 35%. 20% is too dark IMO and grabs lots of attention. After sunset, you cannot see any body outlines and that's what they look for.

*Super loud exhaust...keep it tamed...I run Magnaflow not a cherry bomb

*Flashy decals in front or rear windows...causes lots of attention and cops don't know the difference between punks and your decals...I choose not to advertise anything because you get put into a certain "class" by the po-po's

*As far as lights...stay away from extreme blue and extreme yellow..that cries pull me over.

*Also, if you have HID's in your Halogen housings, that can contribute to getting pulled over because they are very bright(illegal) and while cops may not know the difference of HID's/halogens, they do know that guys put 65w-up to 100w aftermarket bulbs in there which are still illegal...Just causes more attention than I'd like.

*Paint..nothing drastic like racing stripes on an everyday type truck...screams look at me

I have followed those few basic rules for the last few vehicles and so have my friends and I'm the only one that has been pulled over in the past 5yrs cuz i didn't have my seatbelt on and the cops were hiding behind a sign. F'in dicks had a sting Op going. Like they don't have better stuff to do than ticket people for seatbelts and overdue reg's.

Put a few of those together and your just an eyesoar. If your vehicle stands out in a full parking lot, then you are super visible driving down the road.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
2008Dodgeramblackedout
Professional

lol i keep getting pulled over for my windshield tint cause i have a 8 inch 2.5 % BROW and the rest of my windshield at 40% and i just get my ***** busted constantly, i just dont know how to avoid it. i have a radar and im always polite to the officer because in all honesty i do respect them

Quick Reply: HIDS CAUSE MORE POLICE ATTENTION.. what do you think...