3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird rubber burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 AM
I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird rubber burning smell

Im experiencing a hot rubber smell..and it pissn me off! I start the truck and drive to the gas station and get out and it smells like hell....smells like hot rubber. no leaks or nothing..then I drive it around for a couple hours..OD off..and no smell..could it just be the heads and motor and everything warming up? It is like..20 outside if that. The tranny isnt as responsive at first..then after i drive it and its hot and if I drive it in OD off for a while..it hooks up good. WTF over! Ok,im done ranting!

Last edited by I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!; 03-07-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
Im experiencing a hot rubber smell..and it pissn me off! I start the truck and drive to the gas station and get out and it smells like hell....smells like hot rubber. no leaks or nothing..then I drive it around for a couple hours..OD off..and no smell..could it just be the heads and motor and everything warming up? It is like..20 outside if that. The tranny isnt as responsive at first..then after i drive it and its hot and if I drive it in OD off for a while..it hooks up good. WTF over! Ok,im done ranting!
Are you saying you think the rubber burning smell and the trans OD on/off are related? Have you looked under the hood to see if there is anything burning. Cold outside, Heavy battery drain to start. Maybe charging heavily. Battery terminals clean and tight?

Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a stuck pully on your belt

Old 03-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
Rookie

i know if could be anything...it jus pisses me off. ive looked...battery is good n tight..everything appears ok..ill have to get a bettter look...cause it only lasts a little while when you stopp...then its gone

Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
shortburb
Rookie

The exhaust on my truck gets pretty close to my spare tire....I get a rubber smell too but I figured the exhaust was heating the spare.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
rumblebeef

I Had a pulley replaced cuz the bearing went after I soaked it trailing. Made an annoying whine, covered under warranty. Never had a burning rubber smell, but I get a strange smell when I first turn the heat on in the morning. Could it be a dead pulley, or just your heater?

Quick Reply: weird rubber burning smell