3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake pad swap!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
bigdaddy2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad swap!?

okay i've swapped pads on numerous other vehicles but never a ram.. should be simple enough.. but ran into a problem. It's a 2002 1500 smaller V8

jacked it up.. choked it up...stood it up..and removed the tires.

removed the caliper bolts...and the caliper wouldn't budge. Now judging by the looks of it these haven't been touched since this thing rolled off the lot. NOW...before I decided to start man handling things which tends to lead me to buying MORE parts to replace what I tore up, I decided to come here to the experts! I opended up the retainer clips for the pads but still no go. It looks as if the caliper sits within a groove on the lower half of the seat. Does it? I didn't try to compress the pistons because I could only see the top half of the top one. Was that my only hang up? I just didn't compress the caliper piston? The top moved freely but the lower portion refused to move.

Just getting some feed back before I try and force it off..forcing more money into autozone's wallet. Thanks guys. The rotors look fine so this is the only thing preventing me from removing the rotor retaining housing that the caliper attaches to.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You take the 2 bolts off that hold the caliper to the bracket and gently tap with a hammer to remove the caliper from the bracket OR removing the bracket bolts will allow you to take it off in one piece and gain access to replace the rotors as well.

But yes, you need to do a littl manhandling to get it off and prob to even put them back in. They are a tight fit. Try lifting the top part out a little and then pulling the whole thing. I haven't taken off the Ram calipers but MANY models set in a certain way. Bottom firt then the top so that means reverse to take out.

FYI... I use the old inside pad to compress the piston before i remove it. C-clamp the old pad so you don't mark the inside of the piston or mark a new pad. make life easier.

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-08-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
bigdaddy2006

thanks brother I definately appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

My front pads did the same thing. I compressed 'em with a c-clamp and they came right off. I just compressed it enough to give a little breathing room. That was just in my case though.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I dunno how you guys would compress them with the caliper mounted to the rotor? You really need to have an EVEN squeeze on them or you could score the inner piston seals.

The rotor may have a ledge on the outer edge from where the rotor hasn't worn. That may be where your hanging up. if that's the case, then just use a hammer lightly as i stated. Top first then the bottom.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
bigdaddy2006

yeah that was my question initially..it's ON the rotor so that suggestion was given to me with a grain of salt. Though I didn't toss it aside since I've never touched one before I had to ask unless I missed something so obvious it was stupid. The outside pads don't just drop out to give you some wiggle room. Compressing the caliper AFTER it's off is a gimme just like you said with a c-clamp.

This girl's pads are 1/4 the original thickness..how the rotors aren't royally screwed I have no idea.

the rotor ledge crossed my mind initially too..but since the top slid right off but the bottom didn't, I removed that from the list of possible issues that would be causing it...just about the time the thunder clouds decided to let loose on me. HA

Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bigdaddy2006
This girl's pads are 1/4 the original thickness..how the rotors aren't royally screwed I have no idea.
Quality OEm is prob why. I'll slap new pads on untouched rotors if I can get away with it. Cutting them to take out any imperfections only thins them out and ruins their reliability, but cutting OEM rotors once is still okay. You just don't wanna to cut aftermarket rotors as they are a one time use as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: brake pad swap!?