3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any info on Daystar leveling kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on Daystar leveling kits?

Took my wife's Jeep in for an oil change this morning because it was due for a rotation anyway and I get that for free since I bought the tires from them.

I asked about leveling kits for my Ram and they said they do them for all makes all the time. Guy looked up parts/kits on his computer for me and said "doesn't look like Rough Country makes one for your year/model but the Daystar kit is $150 plus $170 labor including alignment". He wasn't sure what is in the kit but, I imagine, at that price, it's a set of keys and shock extensions? Sound right? I keep going back and forth about doing a lift for 2 reasons. First, I love how my truck rides and I don't mind it changing a little but I don't want to totally wreck my good ride. Second, I tow an RV trailer several times a year and, right now, it almost perfectly levels out my truck when it's hooked up. So, I'm worried it will squat too much and I'll be looking at the sky if I have the front end leveled. Then I might be looking at bagging the rear end and more money.

Thoughts, opinions?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crank your tbars for free and then get longer shocks and alignment...

Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

It's not that rough country doesn't make keys for your truck, he's trying to push his brand on you. You can like silver said crank the t bars or get some keys. Here's the RC keys for your truck.

http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge_4w...eling_kit.html

Then just get you some longer shocks and an alignment.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Crank the bolts or get any one of a number of leveling keys for your '04 4x4. Daystars are fine, but there are any number of them out there that are just as good for half the money, and yes Rough Country makes keys for an '04!
If you don't want to have to purchase longer front shocks, opt for a kit with shock relocation brackets...

Old 03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

The shock brackets are the part that makes me wonder what it will do to my ride. I know opinions are split around here on leveling and what it does to handling/ride. I googled the Daystar kit and it appears to just be a set of keys. However, it makes no mention of needing longer shocks, only that an alignment would be required. If I went with longer shocks, does it help with the handling/ride? If so, any brand and size or even part numbers? I'm happy with the stock ride so not looking to dump a bunch of money to make it even better, especially if I can get out for less.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Nobody has any shock info/suggestions?

Also, although some of you have done it, some people seem to cringe when I mention cranking the bars vs. leveling keys (kit). Is there a reason for that? Even though it's more money, do the leveling keys give you something cranking the bars doesn't? Does cranking the bars technically put too much stress on anything or harden the ride more?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
bball14
Professional

Use a leveling kit. I used the daystar kit on my 05 4x4 and have been very happy. You can find the kit online for about a hundred bucks. Also, the kit says you can re-use your stock shocks, but it did not have that experience. The kit stretched my front shocks and made it ride like crap.

I replaced the shocks with rancho rs9000xl adjustable shocks. I bought the stock replacement part number bc they actually measure just a hair longer than oem shocks. I am extremely happy.

I made numerous calls to shock manufacturers tech support divisions before making my decision. I was told by many manufacturers (even with their kit) that using a 2" extended shock even with a leveling kit puts added stress on your ball joints cv joints etc.

With that info and advice of my local 4x4 shop I bought the ranchos and could not be happier.

End of long post lol.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
canadian wheeler
Amateur

Try doing a torsion bar crank first. I believe using keys or turning your factory set bolts will result in the same thing. Try it out for a few days and if you find the ride to your dislike then just turn them back down. You can get max 2" lift from the stock shocks.

Quick Reply: Any info on Daystar leveling kits?