3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge 1500 shaking/shimmying bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
mikekle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge 1500 shaking/shimmying bad

My 2004 Dodge ram has been shaking and shimmying alot lately, it is getting worse too, My steering wheel shakes back and forth too, and if I let off the wheel, it immediately goes to the right. It shakes the people riding in it pretty bad now, but is not shaking the rear view mirror. I have checked the front suspension and cant find anything out of the ordinary. It does have a power steering pump leak, but I keep the fluid at the proper level by adding it every other day and check it before I drive it all the time. It seems to be the worst around 10-40mph and the faster I go, it smooths out. One odd thing I did notice when checking the tires is they are all the same 265-75-20, except for the rear drivers side tire which is a 265-65-20. Ive never noticed this before, but it has been on there ever since Ive had the truck, so I doubt that is the real problem, it is the same make and model tire, so it must have been put on by mistake? A few friends thought it may be the anti-sway bar or the trac bar.Any help is appreciated. Thanks, BTW, My first time on this site.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

can be caused by a lot of different things. Could be the ball joint, tie rod ends (very common) tire out of balance, drive shaft out of balance, wheel damaged, alignment, etc.

Prolly one of the single most things to diagnose is a front end shimmy...

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge 1500 shaking/shimmying bad