3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 ram 545rfe performace mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
badblackram06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 ram 545rfe performace mods?

I am wanting to get more performance out of my transmission. I have heard you can do a few mods to this transmission like a tcm mod? i have not been able to find anything on it working on a 2006 Ram with the 4.7L. I have been told to look for Valve body kits but i believe this transmission is electonically controlled and they wont work. If anyone could give me any info on any performance mods for it, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 PM
espinosafell
Veteran

the TCM is only for the 2003 models which they delete the TCM

Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Superchargedram
Rookie

Sorry only thing really out there is line pressure boosters, shift kits and valve bodys BUT the tranmissions have adaptive learning cababilities and soon revert themselves back to stock settings no matter what you throw at it. You could look into a stall converter which will let you more your RPMs up before you take off they range from 2600-4000 rpm stalls, Circle D makes them OR Edge racing converters, Suncoast may have one too, I personally have tried everything evern performance rebuild kits, untill we have stand alone tranmission tuning capabilities (TCI and PCS make a unit But nobody knows how to use it) it will remain a slop box, Trust me I have ben through 6 of them.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shifting points with a tuner or get a dtrop out converter (the tranny isn't that good for that) Really drop it out and replace with a fairbanks racing tranny drop the column shifter and go b&m quick click Now you shift like amanual but no clutch awesome set up but don't expect too make it home with a buzz on.! Gotta REALISE YOUR HALF SHIFTER BRAINS WITH THAT SET ... IMO!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Superchargedram
Rookie

If you really wanna get serious take my route my truck is going to make ALOT of power, in order to put it to the ground I will be swapping to a T56 from a Viper which is a 6 speed manual found in almost all the top end cars. We have a bellhousing for that now thank god!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

i tried a superchips and it didnt help that much on the firmness. it didnt even shift out to where i set it. it got close but never reached the 6300rpms i set it at. i think it was around 5800 which is close to stock. I was kind of wanting something that'll bark the tires at 1-2. i guess i am just so used to driving my old 82 chevy with a turbo 350 tranny that has a transgo shift kit. it'll nearly snap your neck off if your not ready for it. i guess i SOL on the ole ram again. First no DSP, then no transmission mods.. oh well, thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: 2006 ram 545rfe performace mods?